XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Paint after rust repair

Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint after rust repair

Hi all
My 2002 X308 has rust at the bottom of the rear pillars, adjacent to the rear screen. The paint is bubbling and lifting.
Assuming I can clean it back to bare metal what is the best primer to use (I am in the UK)?
If necessary I can acquire a small sand blaster gadget to get back to good metal. If it has gone through I can TIG a patch in but when all the work is done I want it to stay good. The original paint managed nearly 15 years...

Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

You should look underneath that area, you will most likely find a huge glob of something from the factory to act as weather seal. Pull that off as it holds moisture and replace with something more contemporary and less density. Then you can look at painting the rear deck, I'd be inclined to get it back to bare metal then treat with a rust repellent before painting again.

If you need to weld you'll probably have to remove the rear screen which is bonded to the body like the windscreen.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

The Screen seal panel is the culprit, it acts as a well to collect water that creeps down the panel joint. The bondo Stu mentions acts as a sump. The first thing I did was chisel it all out and used Bilt Hamber products to treat the areas then Sikoflexed the joints on the new shell I used. Use an Epoxy Etch primer then sealer primer base and clear.
If it's rusty there it'll have other issues...see this thread to check.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...onsider-59153/