XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Passenger door always open

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:51 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Passenger door always open

I searched but can't find the solution to my unique problem. I had the rear passenger glass replaced. Everything was fixed, till later in the evening as i was locking the doors using the keyfob, it won't lock. I had to use the key hole to securely lock the car, on my way home I got the message passenger door open. Check all doors but still the same. Drove home open the door panel, nothing seems wrong, but when I push the door latch all the way while the door is open then I can lock the car using the keyfob, when I push the latch halfway it won't lock. I believe there's a microswitch behind the latch that gets triggered and senses that the doors are locked. Does this mean I need to adjust the door or latch just so the microswitch gets triggered? I'm just doing the battery reset to see if it clears. Hope someone can help me here. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 AM

So I connected the battery and it's still the same. It still says passenger door open. Can someone help me?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:06 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

You will likely need a new door latch assy. The micro-switch is built-in the latch.
Might be an open circuit in the wiring??? but my bet is the latch.

Open and close the door, Does the puddle lamp and interior light react?????

bob

Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM

No the puddle doors don't react and the door latch assy works if I push the outer latch all the way. When I click the key fob the lock works if the latch is pushed all the way. So im thinking mechanical, like adjustment of the striker by the door threshold to make the latch hit further this hitting the micro switch. Has anyone encountered this ?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM

I found that it's just a matter of alignment. I took a T40 and unscrewed the door striker to force the latch to hit the microswitch. The glass guy must've hung on to the door while installing the glass. But now I've noticed the door is still misaligned by 1/8" . I've read here that you can just use a jack and lift the door, guess I'll just try that. But as of now the doors are all close, no door open warning and I can use the keyfob to lock the doors.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (03-28-2017)