XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear end riddle,

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear end riddle,

Developed clunks & creaks in the rear so I did all shocks & associated padding. Then a droning sound originated that would dissipate when the TRAC OFF button was pressed. One shop diagnosed it as wheel bearings so I did those & changed the rear differential fluid & tires, the sound is still there. Now it's back to creaking on the driver's side & gives a clunk when letting off the brake to go into gear. Also when I park after driving, I hear what sounds like abrasive spinning on the driver's side rear wheel, even though the car is in park w/ engine off, it lasts only a few seconds, but that is new.

I've researched the forum here & found a plethora of possible causes : wheel bearings(eliminated),rear carrier bearing & differential output shafts. I'm losing faith due to the shop misdiagnosing the wheel bearings. I'd like to narrow it down before it wreaks havoc with the rear differential & the grinding sound after the car is parked is something I've never experienced with any car I've owned. Cheers

Last edited by Emeritus; 07-17-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:12 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Emeritus
...something I've never experienced with any car I've owned. Cheers
Welcome to the experience of owning a Jaguar.

It is strange, and I've never dealt with something like that. But when in park, the drive shaft and differential should not be moving, so anything in the rear should be stationary, so I would assume the sound could be from the transmission unless you're absolutely sure it's from the rear.

But just a few things you could check is your half-shaft u joints, and make sure they're solid with no play. You can also check the condition of your brakes: rotors, and pads, and there is also a "drum brake" for the parking brake with pads than can wear out. Next would be that the half shaft axle nut is securely on, but don't loosen it--they're a one-time-use only nut so only tighten it.

Try lifting both sides of the rear, and spin the wheels freely and see if the sound could be replicated--maybe this can help pinpoint the sound.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by AZjag1999
Welcome to the experience of owning a Jaguar.

It is strange, and I've never dealt with something like that. But when in park, the drive shaft and differential should not be moving, so anything in the rear should be stationary, so I would assume the sound could be from the transmission unless you're absolutely sure it's from the rear.

But just a few things you could check is your half-shaft u joints, and make sure they're solid with no play. You can also check the condition of your brakes: rotors, and pads, and there is also a "drum brake" for the parking brake with pads than can wear out. Next would be that the half shaft axle nut is securely on, but don't loosen it--they're a one-time-use only nut so only tighten it.

Try lifting both sides of the rear, and spin the wheels freely and see if the sound could be replicated--maybe this can help pinpoint the sound.
Transmission is rebuilt w/ less than 5,000 miles on it, the noise is most certainly coming from the rear wheel, sounds like one revolution of metal on metal then stops. Not sure if a bad differential shaft would cause the unit to still spin/move a few seconds after parking causing my newest noise?

Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

As AZjag1999 states, when the car is stopped nothing is moving in the rear. Remember sounds travel so it may be emanating from the transmission even though you had it rebuilt recently.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:09 PM

It's definitely not the trans. as that was the first thing I ruled out when the drone surfaced. It's something in the rear drive train.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Emeritus
...gives a clunk when letting off the brake to go into gear. Also when I park after driving, I hear what sounds like abrasive spinning on the driver's side rear wheel, even though the car is in park w/ engine off, it lasts only a few seconds, but that is new.
If it makes a sound after driving while not in motion and not running the only thing that comes to mind with any residual pressure would be the braking system. Based on the description of your symptoms I would start with a close look at the brakes, a misaligned caliper will definitely make a creak sound. This is an interesting one!

Old 07-25-2018, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Going through a very similar scenario here as well, find a reputable shop that will take the time to scope the rear end on a lift. It can be a few different things & as my current experience tells me that some lesser experienced shops will quickly diagnose the wheel bearings as the issue, when indeed it is &/or output shafts,carrier bearing,calipers and so forth.

If you were closer to the coast I'd recommend Baldrees , that's the guys to see here for Jag,BMW drivetrain work.

Good luck !

Last edited by King Charles; 07-26-2018 at 12:01 AM.