XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear knuckle... bushings or bearings? part #

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear knuckle... bushings or bearings? part #

Hey, just curious if anyone could give me a 100% answer on this, i had my car in for certification and was told that the "lower rear knuckle bushings" were shot(where the rear lower wishbone connects to the bottom of the knuckle not the center of the car)! So i went to 3 different parts stores and they all tell me, nothing is showing up in our system... So i decide to call jag, and explain to them the part im looking for! now they are telling my that its a bearing.. I keep getting the run around, and just want to know what part to purchase! lol so here it is.. am i looking for a bearing, or a bushing? does anyone have the part number? any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you

Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 AM

Attached #16 is the part

Attached Thumbnails Rear knuckle... bushings or bearings? part #-image-3643627804.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilklan
Hey, just curious if anyone could give me a 100% answer on this, i had my car in for certification and was told that the "lower rear knuckle bushings" were shot(where the rear lower wishbone connects to the bottom of the knuckle not the center of the car)! So i went to 3 different parts stores and they all tell me, nothing is showing up in our system... So i decide to call jag, and explain to them the part im looking for! now they are telling my that its a bearing.. I keep getting the run around, and just want to know what part to purchase! lol so here it is.. am i looking for a bearing, or a bushing? does anyone have the part number? any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you
Hehehee....I think some of these guys are dragging their knuckles on the ground ;o)=)
Jaguars do not use knuckles.
This particular part is referred to as the 'outer lower fulcum bearing...of which their are two mounted front and rear in the rear hub.
A bolted shaft passes through them secured with a nut.

The following users liked this post:
Bilklan (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Very much appreciated!!! It's what the shop had told me and it's left me clueless for which parts to purchase! Finally confirmation!!!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

check the play in the universal joints on the axles - usually diagnosed wrongly as fulcrum bearings

Old 02-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi There
I have to replace these as well. I just bought four of them. Item 16 in your drawing P/N CAC4610 @ $27.00 ea.
I hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceG:
Bilklan (02-25-2014), ThatsNoMoon (09-30-2018)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

What was the symptom of this part being bad? My rear suspension seems to be sagging a bit and there is play in the wheel on the camber axis but none in the toe axis. I can't figure out what to replace.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With mine you could grab the back wheels at the 9 and 3 o'clock locations and wiggle them and if you look at the bearing locations (item 16) you can see plenty of movement. On a snow covered road it feels like the back end of the car wants to wonder all over. Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by BruceG
With mine you could grab the back wheels at the 9 and 3 o'clock locations and wiggle them and if you look at the bearing locations (item 16) you can see plenty of movement. On a snow covered road it feels like the back end of the car wants to wonder all over. Hope this helps.
Yes exactly! From reversing to drive, u can usually feel it! And when u hit bumps! I just had new tires installed on my car and while it was jacked up I could literally wobble back tire what seemed to be a mile lol but realistically couple inches! Really dangerous on outta town trips especially; if as stated snow on the road! Doesn't take much even slight blow over and she will try to kick out on u!!! Even if ur not accelerating! In my particular case I shouldn't be driving it! I should fix it immediately, but giving my current financial position, I don't have a choice for few weeks!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is good at 9 and 3. The play is at 12 and 6.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Murat
Mine is good at 9 and 3. The play is at 12 and 6.

Rear knuckle... bushings or bearings? part #-image-3044624140.jpg

This is where the problem would be if it was the fulcrum (lower hub career) bearing! While jacked up check there for play! But sounds like u have a different issue

Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 PM

I will possibly post step by step pics/instructions to the best of my experience as I usually do all my own repairs and this will be my first time doing this paticular job! If I learn anything from it I'll be glad to help others with this ahead of them! Also If anyone has any important steps or tips for the task that I should know! I've got an ear open! This weekend will be happening!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Check out my thread here, it helps explain the issue.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-wiggle-44607/

Bilklan (02-26-2014)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:14 AM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on your climate, and how much moisture may have gotten in this area while your bearings are collapsed, there's a good chance you will also need to buy the "pivot sleeve" that each of the two bearings sit on: Part number MNE4520AA and #18 in the diagram above. I found my whole assembly rusted & frozen together and had to cut it apart to get it out of the hub assembly. When not rusted together, I suppose you can pull the bearings off of the pivot sleeve easy enough and it would all slide out... For another $25 it's probably worth it to have one in hand when you get the assembly apart.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

You should check each end of the shaft (pivot pin/bolt) as well, there's a spacer and it needs to be the right size to take up any 'slack', it's important to get the correct size so that when the bolt is tightened up, it puts the bearing under the correct pre-load (it's a tapered roller bearing). I fitted new bearings, seats, pivot pin, and outer pivot pin/bolt but still had movement at 9 and 3, it was this spacer! All the sizes are on jaguarclassicparts.com Here's the link if you want to check for each spacer part numbers, it's part 16 on the drawing. Follow the book for measuring the gap before ordering a thicker spacer.:

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-assembly-rear

Also mark the end of the outer pivot pin and the end of the carrier before you slacken it off too, on some (not sure if all?) models the bolt is eccentric and can alter the camber angle if not replaced in the same position.
Paul

ThatsNoMoon (10-13-2018)