XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Which rear suspension component usually goes bad?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which rear suspension component usually goes bad?

I go to get an alignment today and it seems that my almost new Michelin Pilot Sport tires in the rear are becoming bald on the far inside. It has negative camber. Which part is it in the in back that goes bad? Do these cars have upper rear control arms or just lower? How about those funny old-fashioned u-joints on the axle shaft, are those known to go bad? You would think it would have a CV Axle and not u-joints... lol..... Also, it needs (2) new front lower ball joints, are those separate or can you get it with the lower control arm? Anyone have pics of the suspension of these cars?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The rear hubs are controlled by the upper drive shaft and a lower wish bone. Slack in the drive shafts or worn bushes would be trouble.

I recently did my rear shocks and I have also just done a front lower wish bone ball joint.

When I did the the rear shocks I had to take the big fulcrum bolt out which goes through the bottom of the hub unit. This is a special bolt with an eccentric head. When you take this bolt out you have to mark its rotation position before you remove it so it can be put back where it was. I think this bolt will adjust the camber to a degree. Has the car had someone work on the bushes, shocks or springs which might have required this bolt to be removed ?

Have you tried grabing the top of wheel and giving it a firm push/pull. Any movement or rattle would be a sign of trouble somewhere.

The front ball joints can be done without removeing the wishbones. If you do remove the front wishbones to use a bench press the JTIS procedure recommends that front wheel alignments should be checked/adjusted.

See : https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-joint-78634/

Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Pivot pin bearings. The eccentric bolt that the previous poster describes runs through two bearings in the rear hub carrier. These fill with water and rot away, then knock, then smash themselves to pieces. The bolt adjusts rear toe only, but with loose bearings you'll also get more negative camber, toe-out on braking, and toe-in on acceleration which can cause the wear that you describe.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone have a pic of the part I need or a pic of the rear suspension?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts