XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear Suspension Part help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Part help

Recently I nailed a fairly big pot hole and the cross member (?) the lower part of the rear end cracked on the right side. I think it was starting to get fairly rusty. I need to find a replacement but not sure what it's called or the part numbers. I have found a few places that have the complete cage parts (8) and (9) but all I need is the bottom part (9). Here is a pic of the rear suspension with the part highlighted in red (9). The body shop I deal with can't seem to find the part on their source but they need an exact part description and/or part number Are these prone to rusting? Of course I live in New England but my 1998 never had rust issues at all and I drove it just as much as I do my 2003 VPD

Anyone replace this? It looks pretty much cut and dry I want to do it myself they are going to let me use a lift at the shop but I don't want any surprises!

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 11-03-2018, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You don't make it clear if you are looking for the part for the XJ8 or the XJ8 Vanden Plas. It is the same part for either unless you have thee comfort suspension. You can get the info from SNG Barratt's website ( a forum sponsor). They show the comfort suspension part *** no longer made. I have attached the part info from their site.

The following users liked this post:
johnro6659 (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
You don't make it clear if you are looking for the part for the XJ8 or the XJ8 Vanden Plas. It is the same part for either unless you have thee comfort suspension. You can get the info from SNG Barratt's website ( a forum sponsor). They show the comfort suspension part *** no longer made. I have attached the part info from their site.

Thanks that is the part, I could not find it on SNG Barratt no matter what I searched. It is a 2003 VDP. As far as I know it doesn't have comfort suspension. Luckily I have the original window sticker so I'll check to be sure.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by johnro6659
Recently I nailed a fairly big pot hole and the cross member (?) the lower part of the rear end cracked on the right side. .....
I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Has the subframe broken or has the round metalastik bush (item 11 in your illustration) separated? Although the subframes are generally covered in surface rust, a break is rare and the usual issue is failed bushes which can be replaced.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 11-04-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Has the subframe broken or has the round metalastik bush (item 11 in your illustration) separated? Although the subframes are generally covered in surface rust, a break is rare and the usual issue is failed bushes which can be replaced.

Graham
Thanks I never know where to post questions at times! It's definitely cracked almost in half right before the spot where the bushing is maybe an inch to inch and a half away. I tried to take a pic with my cell but it came out blurry. It looks to me that it was pretty rusty but it's possible the pot hole was the culprit. I really hit it hard, I had no choice a guy in a car was heading right for me head on in my lane had to pull to the right there was a puddle around a clogged sewer drain and the pavement was missing all around it. I got out of the car and checked the rims because I figured they were trashed but no dings or dents. When I drove away I notice my steering wheel was turned about 2" to the right. I figured I knocked the car out of alignment. When I got on the highway and accelerated to speed the car was really loose. When I got home I looked under the car in the front. I never thought the rear end would have been the problem. I dropped my flashlight and it rolled under the car that is when I saw some metal hanging near the right rear wheel. I reached under and felt it all jagged looked as best as I could and I could see the crack. I really need to get it on a lift to see if there is any other damage. For now I know it needs the subframe. I doubt I can weld it even temporarily until the part gets here.When I bought this car 5 years ago I put it on a lift and gave it a good inspection even tapping the frame work to see if it was solid. The car was in mint shape can't figure out why it would rust so quick but New England can really kill a car with all the salt they use on the roads. I try and take the car to the car wash and run it thru with the undercarriage wash to try to keep the salt out. I even spray undercoating under the rockers and inside wheel wells to protect all my cars. For a few bucks it's a little peace of mind. It really pisses me off this is my 3rd Jag and it runs great everything works great. It still looks pretty good aside from a few door dings and scuffed bumpers. Hazards of living in a big city where people have to park like sardines in a can. I can get the part used from Texas my body shop wants to see if they can get it cheaper for me thru their parts source. I would like a part from a rust free area though. I will sand repaint and undercoat the part before I put it in just to be safe. I could claim it on my insurance but in Mass they would hit me with a surcharge at 100 a month for 6 years. It will actually be cheaper for me to buy the part and pay to have it installed or install it myself like I plan to do.

John

Old 11-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Not sure if there's a SNG Barrett in the USA? If you have to source from the UK, try Jaguar® Parts and Jaguar® Spares from Eurojag - Eurojag Limited I'm lucky I live 6 miles from here, get loads of spare parts, you might save a fortune, even with the shipping costs?
Paul

Old 11-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Just found this:

About $310

Old 11-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Available in the US, but expensive, would be best to source from a salvage yard, and then replace the crossmember bushings (item 2)

https://www.jaguarmerriamparts.com/p...iagram=4721450

The following users liked this post:
johnro6659 (11-05-2018)
Old 02-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Hi guys, Finally scored the part used from Texas for $135.00 plus shipping! Mine was in better shape than this, I scuffed it gave it a coat of extend and then an undercoating. Still waiting to install it. Might actually pay someone because I can't see to get access to a lift.

According to the Ebay listing he still has 5 available!