XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replacing Micro switch in rear door latch

Old 03-02-2019, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing Micro switch in rear door latch

Hi everybody
Today I replaced both rear door "door open micro switches" as far as I know these are not serviced separately on my XJ8 4.0lt long wheel base 2002 X308.(but I think it may apply to all x308 models)
I checked on this forum and found no one that had replaced the switches they normally replace the whole lock assembly. Even second hand it's not a cheap option, so if you have the following problems on your 2002 xj8 x308 interior lights fail to illuminate when door is opened there is no door open message on the message centre and the door safety/puddle lamps remain off then it is a good bet that the micro switch has gone west.

First remove the door card this is also explained elsewhere on the forum.
To remove the right hand rear door card, remove blanking plug and screw in interior opening handle housing, remove cover. Gently prize wood trim from door card starting at the end furthest from the interior opening handle there are just two tags at that end, at the other end there are two hooks when the tags are out of the door card gently slide the wood trim towards the rear of the car.
Remove the screw from under the door armrest, gently prize out the seven door card retaining clips (X3 or X5 fasteners available on ebay and usually need replacing).
Now lift the card slightly to unhook it from the top of the door and remove the wiring plugs as necessary.
Remove the large square white plastic guide from the door card and slot it back into the door.
Remove and replace any card retaining clips that are broken.

Carefully peel back the grey membrane as far as required, A hair drier usually helps.
Next unplug the door lock this plug has 5 wires running to it from the lock assembly .
On the door lock are two electrical components the large one is the locking motor and the smaller one with two wires running to it is the micro switch identify these two wires in the plug and check for a circuit there should be continuity with the latch in the open position and the safety catch position there should be no continuity with the latch in the locked position, if the switch has failed remove the door latch assembly (also explained elsewhere on the forum).
Removing right rear door latch.
At the back end of the window area is a small black plastic triangle gently prize this off and remove the screw you will find beneath it.
Remove the outer door handle, two 7mm bolts hidden and will have to be felt for.
When the door handle is very loose keep it in position with one hand while removing the bolts with the other, unhook the handle from the vertical link.
Remove the window track lower fixing screw and gently pull down the track, silicone spray is your friend.
Unclip and remove interior locking button,gently unhook interior opening handle assembly from door.
Remove the three latch fixing bolts and gently wiggle the latch down a bit and unhook the interior opening cable.
Now wiggle the latch out of the door.

The micro switch has two plastic pins on each side of the body which locate into holes gently prize up the top plastic layer and then wiggle the micro switch out please observe the orientation of the lever.
Bend the lever on the new micro switch to resemble the lever on the old micro switch as far as possible.
If you are a real cheapskate like me you will be interested in the following "5amp microswitch lever actuator switch (spdt micro switch V4) KW11i 3D Printer....inhelume is the seller on ebay.
I assume these are used in 3D printers they are not guaranteed waterproof but they are only 99 pence each or £3.60 for 5 this is what I used.
The original was a Burgess V4NC2E which I could not find.
I am sure better switches could be found but I smothered mine in silicone grease and crossed my fingers.
Having removed the old micro switch cut away the two wires as close to the switch as possible and solder the wires to the outer legs of the new micro switch ignoring the centre leg, polarity is unimportant.
Fit the new switch to the latch. I used a couple of small wood screws to secure the switch to the latch, plug the lock assembly back into the loom and test. With the ignition on and the latch in the locked position there should be no report on the message centre even when you move latch backwards and forwards in the locked position in all other positions the message centre should report door open.
And that's it job done refit lock assembly and door card as per removal and sit down and enjoy a well earned pint.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 841 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter1234567
The original was a Burgess V4NC2E which I could not find.
Thanks for the very good write-up. The reason why you could not find Burgess "V4NC2E" is probably because this is their old (now obsolete) part #. It appears that it is now Burges V4NST7Y1-UL which is available at:

Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-V4NST...MAAOSw~vpZ7O0j

Online (UK, delivery to UK only): https://www.electronics-online.com/s...nst7y1-ul.html

Online (US, worldwide delivery): https://www.alliedelec.com/product/j...y1ul/70162331/ (the picture is generic but the particular switch comes with a lever)