XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replacing rear-view mirror - anyone have experience with this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts
Question Replacing rear-view mirror - anyone have experience with this?

My mirror ball-mount lost it's tension due to the plastic teeth breaking and I think it needs to be replaced - has anyone attempted this?

Is the mirror's wire-harness inside the mirror-assembly, or under the roof liner? Where/how do I disconnect it?

My VDP is equipped with the rain-sensor, is that wired via the same harness or a second one.

Can I reuse the mounting plate and just clamp on a new assembly to the old plate? Besides being careful not to break the windshield, is there anything else that I should know about removing the assembly from mounting plate?

Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
My mirror ball-mount lost it's tension due to the plastic teeth breaking and I think it needs to be replaced - has anyone attempted this?
I have never attempted replacing just the ball mount, but have replaced the entire mirror when the original one "spewed its electrochromic goo."

The first thing I'll suggest is that you might want to try a "cheap trick" with glue (not epoxy or any of the "death grip" types) and that's to drip a bit into the ball mount to increase the friction. It does work and can last a very long time. You just want something that dries "tacky" rather than rock solid.

Is the mirror's wire-harness inside the mirror-assembly, or under the roof liner? Where/how do I disconnect it?
The wiring harness for the mirror is located very near to the front of the overhead console. The front edge of the console is held in place by spring clips and you can *gently* pull downward and release only the front side. The wiring plug for the mirror is bright yellow and almost impossible to miss. It's easy to release it. If necessary, you can remove the entire console, but I didn't have to.

My VDP is equipped with the rain-sensor, is that wired via the same harness or a second one.
I have no answer for you on this one. My car doesn't have rain sensing wipers.

Can I reuse the mounting plate and just clamp on a new assembly to the old plate? Besides being careful not to break the windshield, is there anything else that I should know about removing the assembly from mounting plate?
I reused the existing mount on the window. One thing you should know is that the mirrors on these cars come off by pushing down on the arm along the plane of the windshield toward the dash. Most I've ever dealt with have been exactly the opposite, that you pushed up, but not the one in my '99 XJ8L.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 7,896 Likes on 4,770 Posts

The mirror wire harness incorporates the rain sensor.
I would suggest a salvage yard replacement if the 'glue-trick' does not work.
Your harness connector should be a WHITE connector. (9 wire I THINK)

The 6 wire yellow connectors do NOT incorporate rain sensing.

bob gauff

Old 10-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Thank you, great feedback, going to go find some goo for the first attempt