XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle

Going to look at an XJR tomorrow. The seller states the car has a rough idle due to a bad injector but my fear is it being a tensioner issue and skipped tooth on the timing chain. My question is, if this is the case will the car run while driving? I imagine it would for either reason.

I'm not sure yet if he has service records so it may be a red flag. The tensioner should be something I can tackle if need be.

I've read through many other buyer threads but any reiteration is much appreciated.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:01 AM

Edit: I meant will the car run "rough" while driving with a bad injector/bad timing or only show symptoms at idle?

Old 08-09-2015, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The first step in resolving the problem would be to pull any codes from the car. If the seller will allow you, stop by an auto parts store and have the codes read. Write them down in order. Rough running while driving could be any of a number of problems. Vacuum leak causing lean fuel. Bad coil pack, bad plug. Clogged fuel filter, or one of the fuel pumps is not working. The injectors are pretty robust and not prone to failure. If the engine idles smoothly, i would look for fuel problem first, could be just a dirty filter or a bad pump.
Getting the codes will give everyone a better chance at helping.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

You are wise to suspect the cam chain tensioners, especially if the guy doesn't have service records. If you can read or get the OBDII codes read, that might tell you something. If you can start it from cold, you might hear something rattling. If you do get multiple misfires on one bank, then that would point to tensioners. Some guys whose chain has jumped have said it will run fairly well, except at idle.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
You are wise to suspect the cam chain tensioners, especially if the guy doesn't have service records. If you can read or get the OBDII codes read, that might tell you something. If you can start it from cold, you might hear something rattling. If you do get multiple misfires on one bank, then that would point to tensioners. Some guys whose chain has jumped have said it will run fairly well, except at idle.
This is exactly my fear. I'm going to take a scanner with me so I can read the codes on the spot. Hoping he hasn't reset anything. For cars that skipped but run fine, are there any codes? I'm hoping he has an injector code that proves his point.

I'm meeting him somewhere so the car will not be on cold start, unfortunately. The asking price is fairly low to begin with but I will try to bargain if the flaws are not too far too gone for my tastes. If the car looks up to par, i'll likely take it in for a further inspection prior to purchase.

Thanks for all your help

Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 PM

Saw the car today... Indeed throwing an injector code along with 7 others. Didn't bother to write them down, the car was a mess. Stuck in Limp Mode so I didn't even test drive it, seats ripped, wood cracking, paint was very UV damaged, oily residue on the oil pan. He did mention that the tensioners were replaced with the metal ones.

Oh well, I hope to get in a Jag soon. For now,

Last edited by staginthejag; 08-09-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

The good ones are getting more scarce by the day. But when you find one, and get it up to par, they are a great car. Best of luck to you !