XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Seat Belt Light won't go out. Bad "yellow plug"???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Belt Light won't go out. Bad "yellow plug"???

I have a seat belt warning light on all the time. I took it to a Jag mechanic, and the test showed the fault was in the retractor mechanism on the driver's side. I bought one from an aftermarket source, and I opened up the pillar covers on that side. I found that the little yellow plug had been taped in place in the retractor. And it looked "bent."

I then plugged the plug into the "new" retractor, and the light went out and then back on.

I am now guessing that the "plug" is broken, but I am having no luck finding one. One source I found said I needed to buy then entire interior wiring harness, to the tune of some $3,000! My next choice is to start looking for a Jaguar used parts place that would cut off the "yellow plug" and sell it to me.

Am I headed in the right direction? Does anyone out there have experience with this kind of problem? Any recommended sources for parts?

Thanks! Wayne. Maryland

Old 12-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Pigtail.biz can sell you any connector with pigtail. But that is a srs plug not for the seat belt not buckled light which is in the buckle portion on your car iirc

Old 12-05-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Pigtail.biz can sell you any connector with pigtail. But that is a srs plug not for the seat belt not buckled light which is in the buckle portion on your car iirc
Sorry for the wrong labeling. I don't have much backup info for this car. The question is: Will a bad SRS Plug cause the light to stay on? The diagnostics said the problem was in the reel in the pillar, so I bought a used one, and the problem still presented itself. I also noted, and your can see in the pictures, that the plug is not "straight," and it was held in place during the last installation of that reel with electrical tape wrapped around it and the plug.

Where do I do next? Is it worth asking pigtail.biz for a replacement plug?

​​​​​​​Thanks!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Uh yes a plug can cause the light to stay on itf it doesnt allow a proper connection which evidently it doesnt

Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 AM

Brutal. Thanks! I'm headed that way now. One question: I will go to pigtail.biz for one, but does anyone out there know of a source for an OEM one?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the same problem I had. A jag mechanic I know told me to check the clock spring. There is a way to check it. Disconnect the battery completly and walk away from the car for at least 1/2 hour. Then, you'l have to remove the steering wheel air bag. It's don from the back of the wheel and I think it's a #27 torque. The bag only comes away a few inches and then you can unplug it. That's the hard part. You'll have to remove the wheel and unplug the clock spring. I found out later the clock spring can be pulled apart and inspected. I didn't do that, I just bought one off ebay and replaced it. Put it all back together and it worked great. Why the airbag goes thru the clock spring is beyond me but I have no airbag light on. Always be careful unpluging any yellow plugs. I've heard bad things can happen. The car can hold enough charge to set an airbag off. That's why you wait at least 1/2 hour. Now this worked for me and you might want to study it for you.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:35 PM

Curley, Thanks!

Old 12-06-2018, 05:35 PM

If you dont have a code for the drivers air bag circuit it will not, repeat will not be the clock spring. Come on. You have a code for the seat belt "pretensioner" is the correct term for that issue on the reel. Thats why it is important to use correct terms. Pretensioners fire in the event of an accident to tighten the seat belt. They used to fire the seat belt reels then switched to the seat belt buckle. Probobly cheaper part to replaced as there are no real moving parts in the buckle
and wayne that $3000 for a wiring harness is bs. It is no longer avail

Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 AM

Brutal: What you say matches with what the data tells us here. The code said it was the pretensioner, which had supposedly happened before, and it was replaced. I got a new one and was going to do it myself, but when I noticed that the "plug" was taped into place with electrical tape, I put the plug into the "new" one. The dash light went out. But when I moved the plug a bit, it came back on. This is why I believe, and now my mechanic now believes, we have a bad "pigtail." And so far I can find no source for the pigtail. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks again! Wayne

Old 12-07-2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by waynearny
brutal: What you say matches with what the data tells us here. The code said it was the pretensioner, which had supposedly happened before, and it was replaced. I got a new one and was going to do it myself, but when i noticed that the "plug" was taped into place with electrical tape, i put the plug into the "new" one. The dash light went out. But when i moved the plug a bit, it came back on. This is why i believe, and now my mechanic now believes, we have a bad "pigtail." and so far i can find no source for the pigtail. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks again! Wayne
yeah i gave you the source we use for connectors. Pigtail.biz
the srs yellow connectors are gold plated not tin becuase they need perfect no resistance connections so this is why gold is used as it is best conductor

Old 12-07-2018, 08:43 AM

I tried them, and they came back and said they couldn't do it. I sent pictures, as Johnny requested, but no luck. And I meant "gold-plated" as in anything for Jaguar, or the old Porsches I've got, may look "normal," but they always seem to be more expensive than one would think! Therefore, they must be gold plated, but I just can't see where the gold is!!

And thanks for the help, I'm still searching everywhere and asking everyone I can. I don't want to have to get rid of this car!!

Wayne

Old 12-07-2018, 11:43 AM

And you need to fix this because anytime the srs warning light is on the system is deactivated. If you get in a wreck you have no air bag operation. Go to junk yards or call around to inde jaguar shops. Many buy wrecked cars for parts