XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Security Alarm Chirp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Security Alarm Chirp?

Hi all,

I haven't heard this before, having the car for a few years. I went in the garage this evening, and noticed that every thirty seconds, the car gives a quick chirp. I've tried locking the doors, unlocking the doors etc, but it still continues to give a quick chirp every thirty seconds.

Any ideas ?

beakey.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by beaky
Hi all,

I haven't heard this before, having the car for a few years. I went in the garage this evening, and noticed that every thirty seconds, the car gives a quick chirp. I've tried locking the doors, unlocking the doors etc, but it still continues to give a quick chirp every thirty seconds.

Any ideas ?

beakey.
Do a search on the security control module and check the trunk for moisture. It's located right under the fuse box next to the spare tire and battery.

The following users liked this post:
beaky (10-31-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi all,

Any ideas ?

beakey.
I believe that if something is sensed as not shut, hood, trunk, door, then it chips.
They may be shut and it is the sensor switch that is the problem, or the module.

The following users liked this post:
beaky (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks Guys. I went back in the garage a couple of hours later, and it had stopped. I'll check the items you mention, and keep an ear out for it happening again.

Thanks for the tips.

Beaky

Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Checked the trunk which is very dry and no signs of damp/moisture. Looks like the next thing is to track down the sensors?

I noticed it still does it after the car has started (sat in the garage with the car idling (garage doors open of course)), it still chirps every thirty seconds, which has me wondering whether it is the actual module?

Beaky.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Default Embarrassed or what!

I listened all around the car to try and find out where the noise was actually coming from. In certain places, it sounded like it was coming from inside the hood. Lifted the hood, and listened. Then it sounded like it was coming from My Tahoe Z71. Lifted the Tahoe hood and listened. Sounded like it was coming from the Jag?

Checked the Mustang. Nope, not coming from there.

Wife walks in the garage to ask what I'm getting stressed about. As I'm telling her, the chirp sounds again to which my wife replies "it's the smoke alarm here on the wall, must need a new battery".

Normally, I'd have kept quiet about it, but feel I must admit my shame because of people on the forum taking the time to answer my question. Sorry Guys, hope you at least get a laugh out of it on my behalf :-)

Don't know, maybe others have had a similar experience (geez, I hope I'm not the only one). :-)

Beaky

Old 11-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Was this a test?... :)

I listened all around the car to try and find out where the noise was actually coming from. In certain places, it sounded like it was coming from inside the hood. Lifted the hood, and listened. Then it sounded like it was coming from My Tahoe Z71. Lifted the Tahoe hood and listened. Sounded like it was coming from the Jag?

Checked the Mustang. Nope, not coming from there.

Wife walks in the garage to ask what I'm getting stressed about. As I'm telling her, the chirp sounds again to which my wife replies "it's the smoke alarm here on the wall, must need a new battery".

Normally, I'd have kept quiet about it, but feel I must admit my shame because of people on the forum taking the time to answer my question. Sorry Guys, hope you at least get a laugh out of it on my behalf :-)

Don't know, maybe others have had a similar experience (geez, I hope I'm not the only one). :-)

Beaky
Dude!, that was a test right, just to see who and what explanations and diagnosii could be wrought by the "experts".
Either that, or we need to commission your wife to diagnose all other noises just so easily, she may have a new calling.

That was good, and thank you for sharing.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

LOL Smoke Alarms cause all the trouble. I had a similar problem myself thinking someone's mobile phone was beeping somewhere and it turned out to be the smoke alarm.

As for the actual security sounder on the XJ8 I have never seen a working one. If the car senses the Sounder has stopped working it switches to using the Horns as the alarm. The sounder is some weird unit which has a battery in it which is supposed to work if the car's battery fails. But it is often the unit that fails.

At least everythings OK with your cars.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
LOL Smoke Alarms cause all the trouble. I had a similar problem myself thinking someone's mobile phone was beeping somewhere and it turned out to be the smoke alarm.

As for the actual security sounder on the XJ8 I have never seen a working one. If the car senses the Sounder has stopped working it switches to using the Horns as the alarm. The sounder is some weird unit which has a battery in it which is supposed to work if the car's battery fails. But it is often the unit that fails.

At least everythings OK with your cars.
Does the UK use the sounder? On my car, it uses the horn and sounder when the alarm goes off. The horn is really loud, the sounder is kinda quiet and the noises it makes sound somewhat strange. unlock/lock is a oddly low chirp and the error tone is a loud and shrill noise. IMO, the sounder almost sounds aftermarket esp the noise it makes when the alarm goes off.

It is interesting that the UK system seems to ward off theft with its motion detectors/tilt sensor/deadlocking whereas the USA system seems to be geared towards preventing car jacking (only drivers door unlocks when remote is pressed 1x, doors lock when driving, panic alarm (that is super loud and sounds the horns and alarm sounder) that won't turn off until the key is put in the igition. This is the USA default setting. I could be wrong about some of the UK features though.

Last edited by burmaz; 11-01-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member

The UK system doesn't make any sounds when the car is unlocked, only flashes the indicator lights. It unlocks all the doors when the fob is pressed and the panic button feature is not there. The UK cars also have all the things you mention above tilt/motion etc in operation.

But all these things are dealer programmable so there is a chance some UK/Euro vehicles have US features enabled.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But all these things are dealer programmable...
Any idea if these things can be programmed by the lay person?
If so, how?
I had a jeep compass that you could program stuff using a combination of key turn ons and horn beeps and holding your tongue right an stuff like that.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 PM

The UK system doesn't make any sounds when the car is unlocked, only flashes the indicator lights. It unlocks all the doors when the fob is pressed and the panic button feature is not there. The UK cars also have all the things you mention above tilt/motion etc in operation.

But all these things are dealer programmable so there is a chance some UK/Euro vehicles have US features enabled.
That's pretty interesting. I guess the USA has a larger problem with violent crime than UK but less so for car break ins. I've has personally almost been car jacked in broad daylight in downtown!

The USA X308s/XKs make a similar sound to this X300 when locking/unlicking, X308 is slightly higher pitched.

ouverture fermeture face - YouTube

Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by vikemosabe
Any idea if these things can be programmed by the lay person?
If so, how?
I had a jeep compass that you could program stuff using a combination of key turn ons and horn beeps and holding your tongue right an stuff like that.
I don't think much is programmable at all with these cars outside at the dealer except for the fobs. I actually haven't really seen what is even programmable at the dealer for these cars.

Hopefully someone else with Jag dealer experience will chime in.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah After watching that video I'm glad the UK cars are silent because that sounds sh*t. You just hear the woosh of the door motors shooting up or down.

As for programming the various aspects of the car, that is a dealer only thing unless you have the software and the know how. There are a few things that can be programmed though I think.

In the UK it's more vehicle break in or twoc (Taking Without Owners Consent) crimes that happen than jacking. Though Jacking does happen. Thing is with most modern cars, X308 included, you can't get them without the key so most car thefts from homes these days is normally accompanied by a house break in.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 AM

Yeah After watching that video I'm glad the UK cars are silent because that sounds sh*t. You just hear the woosh of the door motors shooting up or down.

As for programming the various aspects of the car, that is a dealer only thing unless you have the software and the know how. There are a few things that can be programmed though I think.

In the UK it's more vehicle break in or twoc (Taking Without Owners Consent) crimes that happen than jacking. Though Jacking does happen. Thing is with most modern cars, X308 included, you can't get them without the key so most car thefts from homes these days is normally accompanied by a house break in.
House break-ins aren't too common here. The USA security system IMO is poor for the original MSRP of these cars.

The unlock/lock chirp on these cars have to be the most unique of any OEM system I have heard and the sound seems out of place on a X308. It makes an error tone if you try to lock the car and leave the door or trunk open which is pretty useful though.

At least the X308 doesn't make this (in the video) sound when the alarm goes off b/c the sound the X300 's alarm makes is a joke. The X308 blows the horn.

Panique - YouTube

Or this even stranger sounding 'panic' alarm that only the X300 does. It sounds like a car bomb from a movie that is about to explode!

Jaguar X300 - XJ6 Panic Alarm - YouTube

Last edited by burmaz; 11-14-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like it gives you a close encounters light show too!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual chirp

My 99 XJ8 has developed a glitch with the remote opening the trunk when the car locked. The the boot is opened when the remote boot open button is pushed and the car stays locked BUT after about 10 - 15 seconds the chirp - chirp begins and if the car is not unlocked the alarm sounds.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike