XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

squealing cold morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default squealing cold morning

98 XJR: in the morning the car starts - squeaks and squeals for about 1-2 minutes, and goes away when the engine warms up a bit. It seems to be getting louder, but the car still runs great.

I know this is very common, and generally nothing to freak out about, but I'd like to do something about it. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to start (what to check?).
thanks in advance.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default RE: squealing cold morning

Sounds like a belt of some type. You can condition the belts with aftermarket crap, or just replace them one at a time until the sound goes away. Can't think of anything else it might be.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Bonjourno, Hallo! I was wondering the same thing, my ole 98 XJ8 has done the same exact thingthis past week starting up in the cold weather here now, it squealed (well it chirps hah)just like your XJR, until engine heats up a bit.

I actually had replaced the serpentine belt with this dayco polycog belt below about1.5 monthsago, was on sale there got it for $25 shipped. This belt any good?

( http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...DY5070915.html)

Anyways, it still does the same thing and chirps the exact same after belt replacement, so it can't be that? There are more belts besides the serpentine?

Could it be possiblefor the culprit to actually beone of the pulleys driving the belt. (drive belt tensioner/idler pulley possibly?) No clue hah just asking.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:32 PM

thanks. I don't want to start replacing belts if that's not it, so I'll start with some after market "crap". It almost sounds like a pulley (supercharger pulley???), but it's so loud that it's hard to isolate.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM

oh yeah....atom... "chirp" is a better onomatopoeia than "squeal". It's chirps like a sick bird.

It's not every day that I get to use the word "onomatopoeia"!!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 AM

I have the same problem every year when the weather drops below 40 degrees. Basically just a mild annoyance but there is a quick, cheap solution that I found on the boards a few years ago. Get some di-electric grease ($2-4 at auto parts store) and put a few dabs on the inside of the belt. Works wonders and usually is good for the entire season. I'm still on my first tube of grease yet in my 3rd or 4th season of fixing the belt chirp....works far better than belt conditioner.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:29 AM

Well if it's indeed not a pulley bearing going out, even better hah, can save a few bucks. But,I thought it was just odd it didn't change at all after replacing the belt, there has to be some sort of culprit to make noise? I have XJ8 with only one serpentine on contrast to XJR with supercharger pulley etc, so who knows. It's just logical that if it makes noise, there is areason and a fix for it.

I didn't thinkit was a good ideato put any grease on belts like that, aren't they supposed to be grease/slip free and dry? My guess is still a pulley on rotation that straightensitself outwhen it heats up a bit. It has been cold here for about 1.5 months+, andIt just started chirping on cold start last week. It did not do it earlier this year in 20F weather either, soperhaps it issomething else in my case.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

HI Atom, If changing the belt didn't stop the chirp then I would let my friendly Jag tech at least take a look to be sure I'm not creating more trouble down the road.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:14 PM

Well... I am not sure if our mates over at Moore Jaguar/Aston Martin here in STL would think you're creating and trouble to my car, especially down the road!

Heh i know what you meant sorry, was a must :P

Anyways it's cool, no biggy. thanks for the kinda advice, I plan on having it checked out by my mechanic when a couple other things get switched over, also got me a sweet new vdp steering wheel to pop on it as well! thanks man!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM

UPDATE: After trying the beltdressing and di-electric greaseyesterday and no luck, started it this morning and stuck my head deep in the engine bay(oh my hah!).I will do this tomorrow and following day, butit's definitely coming STRIAGHT from the belt idler pulley on the ride side of the engine. Pinpointed it down to a T on the noise. Will replace very soon and update.