XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

steering system (pump or steering rack?) problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question steering system (pump or steering rack?) problem

Hallo boys and girls. I have this problem that apeared just yesterday, and before giving my car to no handed mechanics I need your advise. I did a lot of work with my xj8 (like tensioning system change, thermostat problems some drivetrain issues....) by my self, and it only happened with all given advises and shared kwoledge from you guys, THANK you for that! Hope this time you'll help me out to.
So first of all is that i've descovered that my steering fluid is leaking, when i leave the car standing for hour or 2 i get the 10cm round spot on the ground, havent checked where from ir exactly drops ( I know I have to do that, I will)but it comes on the driver side, second thing is tat when i turn the weel to the right (only happens when driving) strange sound apears, (something like train does whoo whoo only not so loud, and not always (mostly it comes out when it's a long slight turn like going round down from the bridge and have to hold the weel turned for a longer time...hope I explained it ok )...so it does whoo, only turning right (nothing turning left) and at the whoo moment i can feel slight resistence in turning wheel...
and i'm thinking..... if it was a stearing pump it would probably work bad turning both sides wright? could it be that some pipe is leaking and pressure loose makes hidraulics work bad? or is it steering rack issue and then what options should I take? restore steering rack? change it (hope not )? can i do it my self ( perhaps changing the seals if it's a seal problem).....

p.s. whell turns easily when standing,turning it both sides, and no sounds apear..

waiting for your response and thanks in advance

Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it sound like the pump is running dry?

Take it you've been topping up the fluid as you lose it? (would be a good way to change the fluid - every cloud and all)

They do make some funny noises when low on fluid, changed mine a while back(thoroughly recommend as it really improved the steering feel, the old fluid was knackered) and while slowly turning the rack to drain all the old fluid it made a whining sound as the pump ran with low fluid.

I'd jack the front up an spin the rack lock to lock, should help find the leak and isolate if its the pump or rack (try it with the power on and off to compare)

Fingers crossed it's a simple fix and the noise is low fluid.

If not the racks can be re-conditioned (for about £120 in the u.k, not sue about else where but should give you an idea of price. The re-con guys are on ebay (here at least) and offer i think it's a 3yr warranty so worth checking out).

Good luck

Alex