XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Supercharger swop, ok apart from this....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default Supercharger swop, ok apart from this....

a vacuum tube, I didnt disconnect it, my father did, so I don't know were it goes.

The bypass valve has a tee piece, with a tube running to the fuel vapour valve? and this one I haven't the foggiest were it connects.

I've not had the car out, concerned the by pass valve wont work until the tube is connected correctly, its the one with the cable tie on it.

The supercharger swop went ok, once I took the elbow off and egr valve out the way, god knows how you guys get the s/c out without taking the elbow off, but good work!

Car is uk 2001 m.y. XJR.

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger swop, ok apart from this....-vac-tube-small-.jpg  
Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

That will probably fit the to vacuum meter (that checks the operation of the EGR), haven't seen it myself yet, but it is somewhere between the TB and the Firewall (if that is the right wording). I guess it is the unit you see where the connecter with 3 cables attaches to.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Andre' - thanks for the input, a picture speaks a thousand words....

I suspect if the penny drops I'll be kicking myself, but I cannot locate where this tube puches on???

Attached Thumbnails Supercharger swop, ok apart from this....-vac-pic-small-.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member

There is also a vacuum tube going into the left fender, for which I assume is the Evap system, but am not 100% sure. However on 4.0 cars I have seen, this one is a one piece part that gets wrapped together with the part load breather (a silver color heat shield, you can just see this under your throttle cable in your first picture), and goes into the left fender. So not the short piece you have, for length I would have assume it would be for the Vacuum valve.
To my knowledge those are the only vacuum connections on the vacuum connection there, so bypass vacuum actuator, vacuum meter and evap.
Hope this helps?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Ok, I took a look, and there is only ONE hose running in that position. I'm not going to pretend to know the name of all the parts , so I just took a video showing where it leads. I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGClpPr5Zw4

PS: I've been very sick lately, so I have not been able to detail my car as I would prefer. It's just been my ride to and from the Dr's. I'm pretty embarrased, but such is life for the moment...

Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

@Supersport,
Hope you are ok, as indeed the car could use some detailing.

You have a AJ26 engine, which is slightly different from the AJ27, as there you have an additional vacuum connection to that line for the cruise control, which is not there for the AJ27 engine.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for the input and video SuperSport, I went outside after a cup of tea and the messege from Avos, there is a little Denso unit with 3 wires going into it, just to the right of the braided hose you see in my first picture, the tube was pointing at it.

feeling underneath it, there's a barb... so sliding the tube onto it, and the tick over is as it should be, now for a quick blast, and then the engine and gearbox is coming out.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
@Supersport,
Hope you are ok, as indeed the car could use some detailing.

You have a AJ26 engine, which is slightly different from the AJ27, as there you have an additional vacuum connection to that line for the cruise control, which is not there for the AJ27 engine.
Sorry about the mixup, and the education. Health wise, I hope to be better at some point, thank you for the concern. It's definately appreciated.

Originally Posted by Sean B
...feeling underneath it, there's a barb... so sliding the tube onto it, and the tick over is as it should be, now for a quick blast, and then the engine and gearbox is coming out.
Glad to hear it's connected again. I get a little crazy when I find a loose wire or hose under my hood. A little A.D.D. perhaps?