XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Thermostat Housing Leak...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Housing Leak...Help!

I have a 98 XJ8L and I noticed that I have a slight leak at the bottom of the thermostat housing. If you fill up the reservoir and drive it daily, the low coolant light will come on in about a week. Should I try to tighten the bolts? Do I need a part to fix this? How hard of a job is it to fix? Is there any stop leak I can use?

Also, it appears that I have green coolant in the radiator. Do I need to change this out with the Jag coolant?Thanks guys, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Thermostat Housing Leak...Help!

It sounds like the thermostat gasket needs replacing and I would replace the thermostat at the same time. It shoud be pretty easy to do but probably no to expensive to have done either as long as you don't have to take it to the dealer. As for the green coolant it's ok as long as you don't mix it with the orange stuff.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

badmojo's advice is right on. If your green coolant is more than 2 years old, this is the time to change it. If you decide to go for the long-life antifreeze, most of the new stuff will mix with all colors and all types, check the label. This way you can avoid a complete flushing if so desired.

Doug

Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

If you have a leak, probably better replacing the thermostat housing instead of just the gasket. As you said, it is plastic and the part is cheap. Better for piece of mind.
The two 8mm bolts at the back of the t-stat housing do come out. Easier to use crows foot. Do yourself a favour, when you put it back in, use two of the bolts that hold on the thermostat cover. They are a tad bit shorter and therefore easier to start at t-stat housing. Just replace the two in the cover with the back two from housing.
Also, once you get it running, bring up to about 3000 rpm and hold there with heater on until it gets up to operating temp. This will allow any air pockets to pull through t-stat.
After it cools off recheck coolant level.

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (02-18-2012)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

FJT - you are an incredible asset to this board (I've been lurking for a while - my first post now)!
In keeping with your motto -"If it ain't broke...." - I have kept a new t-stat in the boot of my 107,000 mile, trouble-free 1999 XJR in case the original goes bad, but haven't installed it. In the past, I have done "preventive" t-stat changes on cars, only to have the new one fail shortly thereafter.
In the same vein, the original secondary tensioners looked fine when I pulled the cam covers, and the car has never been overheated, regular Mobil1 changes at 5K miles since I bought it new. Am I foolish to leave well enough alone for now? The car runs as well as the day I bought it....?

________

1999 XJR

Last edited by joycesjag; 11-25-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM

As the motto says......

I always love to hear about the good ones. If your vehicle is running well, leave it be. If the chains or tensioners go, you will normally know before hand. Also, it is not an interferance motor, so even if they went as you were driving, just shut it off. There shouldnt be any damage to the engine. I have only seen once where the valves rapped off the piston, that also was due to overheating.

I too own a Jaguar. 2001 VDP. Wonderful cars in my opinion. As long as you maintain and do some PM, they will last for years to come.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:33 PM

If you cant find one, you may have to take off the intake manifold. Very easy to do. While you are in there, change the heater hoses. Better again to do some preventive maintenance. Once the intake manifold is off, you have full access to the bolts on the T-Stat housing.

The following users liked this post:
BigDTX (04-15-2018)
Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 PM

Cheaper to have that tool than to remove intake.
If you take off the intake manifold, you will need intake manifold gaskets and throttle body gasket. You will also need fuel line disconnects. If you follow your way around manifold slowly, it is pretty easy. Time consuming.

I personnally would go the crows foot way. $15 for the crows foot. Welcome to my world. Easily have $65,000 in tools and tool box. People don't realize how much of an investment we have to make to go to work every day.

Good luck. If you need any more help ask.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 PM

No problem. If need be, I will do a how to on removing the intake.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Glad that you got it sorted. Always worth while if you are in there to replace that plastic. Alot of the time you cannot see the crack in the thermostat housing. It just kind of seeps through it.

I replied to your other post about the RP light.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a 2001 XK8 that appears to have a crack in the plastic thermostat housing. I found the aluminum replacement kit at Motorcars LTD for $84.19. I'm going for the 8mm crow's foot, now! The engineers at Jaguar really ought to consider some more robust design approaches, considering they are trying to counter their history of questionable reliability. Speaking from an E-type owner, and Mechanical Engineer working for Gulfstream Aerospace Corp.! Lightweight design is important, but reliability is MOST important.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Housing Leak...Help!