Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy
For a x308 manual.

Go to the stickies at the top of x308 page
Click on how to
Click on downloads tech files
Click on tech files
Click on X308 workshop manual

It's a large file about 2,000 - 3,000 pages.
Lots of good stuff there but not finding what I need. Nothing I can see on removing the heads.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
A HUGE +1 on all of this!!
Don't remove the exhaust manifolds until the heads are on a bench. Take both heads to the machine shop and let them do their job. If the one head is salvageable, they'll hot tank the heads, mill the heads, grind the valves and seats and adjust the valve clearance. It'll cost about $600 - $800 for the pair to have done. I spent an enormous amout of time doing my own valve job only to find out that I had to send one of them out because a few valves wouldn't hold liquid after I lapped them. I'm also making a heavy assumption that you don't have access to any bucket shims like I did. Another reason why you should send them out.
Thanks for the tip. I'lll leave the headers on then.

Another thought.
When you get the heads off DON'T TURN THEM UPSIDE DOWN TO LOOK AT THE VALVES. Put the cams back in. You only need to finger tighten them. If you turn it over without the cams in half of your cam buckets will fall out and you won't know which valve they came from. I know because I did it once and only once. It looks like your other valves have the correct clearances. If those valves only need to be lapped in they might not need to be adjusted and could save you a few dollars.
Ok got it, don't turn them over. Thank you.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Take all the advice from addictedtoboost you can get. He's the best Jaguar mechanic I know......wait, make that the second best😉

Old 09-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Go to page 611 of the manual. It shows LH head removal and then RH. I think this shows taking exhaust manifold off before head removal, but I think the manual has the engine out of the car. Remember to label everything and it helps to take a few photos to help you when you reinstall everything.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 977 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Take all the advice from addictedtoboost you can get. He's the best Jaguar mechanic I know......wait, make that the second best😉
You wouldn't be saying that if I told you your ARP head studs were installed with Loctite red and the heads had to come off!!!

Old 09-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Three things not in my garage....WD-40, Vice Grips, Loc-title Red. All a mechanics worst enemy disguised in helpful clothing. PS, loc-tite red is no match for direct heat and a little wintergreen, I was a metal-smith before I was a Flight Engineer😉

The following users liked this post:
exjay8 (01-11-2020)
Old 09-04-2016, 03:45 PM

Go to page 611 of the manual. It shows LH head removal and then RH. I think this shows taking exhaust manifold off before head removal, but I think the manual has the engine out of the car. Remember to label everything and it helps to take a few photos to help you when you reinstall everything.
Thanks, found it. I wasn't even seeing the workshop manual before.
Do I really need things like the camshaft locking tool, or crankshaft setting peg? Or are there suitable alternative they I would likely have in my garage or find at any auto parts store?

Old 09-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

You need the tools and can rent them on ebay and other places.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
You need the tools and can rent them on ebay and other places.
Are these tools specific to these Jags, or are their universal tools I could get anywhere, the loaner tools at auto zone for instance?

Old 09-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the grail you seek, and at a great price plus free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-97-08...-/262450248016

Old 09-04-2016, 04:11 PM

Here's the grail you seek, and at a great price plus free shipping.

Jaguar 97 08 Land Rover 3 2 3 5 4 0 4 2 4 4 V8 Engines Timing Tool Set | eBay
Thanks, but I'm wondering if I can just use a universal tool I can pick up at any auto parts store, something I can get today and not have to wait for it to be shipped to me.

RJ237 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

JT that is a great price. OUSCOOBY you might jump on these. I paid over $100 for my set and I thought that was a fair price. You don't need the timing set until you reinstall the cams. When you're done with them sell them and you should get most of your money back.
I use a crankshaft pulley tool designed for the 4.0 which makes it a lot easier to remove the pulley. Look around on the forum, other members have used different methods to get it off.

There is no universal tool. These are designed for these engines. You can't go autozone and get a set. Your best bet is to buy this set. I would loan you mine but by the time you pay for shippinb both ways your better off buying this set.

Last edited by BobRoy; 09-04-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:39 PM

JT that is a great price. OUSCOOBY you might jump on these. I paid over $100 for my set and I thought that was a fair price. You don't need the timing set until you reinstall the cams. When you're done with them sell them and you should get most of your money back.
I use a crankshaft pulley tool designed for the 4.0 which makes it a lot easier to remove the pulley. Look around on the forum, other members have used different methods to get it off.

There is no universal tool. These are designed for these engines. You can't go autozone and get a set. Your best bet is to buy this set. I would loan you mine but by the time you pay for shippinb both ways your better off buying this set.
OK I've ordered this set. I wasn't so much concerned with the price, just not having it today and it holding me up removing the heads but if I don't need it for the removal only the install then I'll be getting started. I just got back from the office supply store and got more printer ink, my printer was out. Going to print the service manual and get started.

Last edited by OUScooby; 09-04-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:18 PM

So I'm trying to get the timing chain cover off and I've reached the point where I need to remove the crankshaft pulley. The workshop manual say to use a crankshaft locking tool. I don't know if that is included in the kit linked above that I just ordered. I'm off to auto zone to see if they have any loaner tool that might work as I need to get a pulley puller anyway. In the meantime, anyone got tips on immobilizing the crank without this tool?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by OUScooby
So I'm trying to get the timing chain cover off and I've reached the point where I need to remove the crankshaft pulley. The workshop manual say to use a crankshaft locking tool. I don't know if that is included in the kit linked above that I just ordered. I'm off to auto zone to see if they have any loaner tool that might work as I need to get a pulley puller anyway. In the meantime, anyone got tips on immobilizing the crank without this tool?
OK I got the crank pulley bolt loose. I made a run to harbor freight, perveyors of only the finest tools, and picked up a 19in chain vice grip. It was barely long enough to fit around the pulley but I was able to use it to hold the crank from turning with one arm while I turned the bolt with a breaker bar with the other arm.
OK onward I go.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

The locking tool will be in the set you ordered.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
The locking tool will be in the set you ordered.
This was my locking tool...

Old 09-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

On the X300 4.0 6cyl you could just bump the starter to break loose the crank bolt. I'm sure it could be done with the V8, not a fan of "vise grip" anything, chews up too much stuff.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:43 PM

On the X300 4.0 6cyl you could just bump the starter to break loose the crank bolt. I'm sure it could be done with the V8, not a fan of "vise grip" anything, chews up too much stuff.
Yes I'm familiar with this trick but the engine is in a start of half disassembly so cranking it isn't an option.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

I not a fan of using the locking tool that is installed in the crankshaft position sensor's hole. The crankshaft pulley bolt is installed with ~280ft lbs of torque. That is a lot of pressure on the housing that is made of aluminum. Also it is very close to the access hole for the torque converter bolts. If the housing was to crack or break there you would be taking the whole bottom of the motor off to replace it. When you reinstall I can loan you my crankshaft pulley locking tool.

Attached Thumbnails Things don't look good. Coolant leak, overheated, misfires and knock-20160611_140227.jpg  
RJ237 (09-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Things don't look good. Coolant leak, overheated, misfires and knock