XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tough time filling up gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tough time filling up gas tank

Somewhat suddenly, I am experiencing a problem filling up my 99 XJ8 with gasoline.

As I am filling the tank the nozzle constantly "clicks off" as if the tank was fuel but it it not. The fuel seems to be backing up the filler neck and then drains down - then I start the process again. I have tried different gas stations with no change...

I can eventually fill up the tank but it is a rather cumbersome/frustrating process.

This could be related to the emission codes the ECM keeps flagging (P0455 & P0442 - Large/Small evap leak).

Any advice/help you can offer would be appreciated!

Thanks....

Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tough time filling up

i had this same problem. The attendant at the station said to lift up the nozzle slightly after putting it in the fuel filler neck. I tried it and it works! I am guessing that the auto shut off is triggered sometimes, and doing this overrides it. Has always worked for me since then. good luck!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM

I've tried that to the point of spraying fuel all over the place :-).

As little as a month ago I've had no problem with this.

As I fuel it, it seems to be spiting back the fuel up the filler neck.

Originally Posted by cadrad
i had this same problem. The attendant at the station said to lift up the nozzle slightly after putting it in the fuel filler neck. I tried it and it works! I am guessing that the auto shut off is triggered sometimes, and doing this overrides it. Has always worked for me since then. good luck!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

That's a cannister close valve, not opening when the engine is shut off. And you'll get the evap leak codes in situations when the engine is running and the CCV is not completely closed.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I had that problem in a non-Jaguar vehicle and it was related to the cannister that absorbs the fumes from the tank. It also absorbed the gas overflow and spillage during filling and ended up plugged in some way.

I removed the cannister and filling returned to normal. I don't recommend doing that, especially in your Jaguar, but it is probably the cause of your problem filling the tank.

The dealer can fix you right up, no doubt.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM

The cannister close valve (CCV) is located aft of the RH emission control cannister on X308. When functioning properly, it is in the open state when the vehicle is shut down. Pressure inside the fuel tank during refueling is vented through the CCV.

The Jaguar factory part number for X308 applications is LNC1525AC. XK uses a similar valve, but the mounting bracket and therefore the part number is different.

I have seen a number of these valves fail on both XJ and XK, and when failed in the closed position they will inhibit fueling in the manner described. Don't blame Lucas please, I believe it is a Denso component. No fault code will be logged in this instance, as there is no emission system leak: even when there should be one, when the engine is shut down.

There is no specific factory bulletin for this problem to my knowledge. I first found the problem on my own when investigating a customer complaint of slow fueling: cleaning and lubricating the valve while hotwiring it to cycle restored the performance, but it failed soon after. I have since seen the problem many times, and you will read of other technicians who have repaired this fault if you research the Forum archives.

Conversely, there are factory bulletins pertaining to CCV valve failure that will initiate emission control system leak fault codes to be generated. That's what happens when they don't close fully, or fail in the open position.

If you can get under your car, and have a set of torx bits (T27?) and a pair of pliers, you can replace this valve yourself. Jaguar list price for the CCV to suit x308 is $51.25.
You will not find an aftermarket replacement, and you can PM me to order one if your parts supplier is quoting you a higher price. The only way to verify the cause for certain is to test the valve, but that diagnosis fits your symptoms and the common failure pattern.

The following users liked this post:
tadpole (08-06-2011)
Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 AM

That could explain why I was getting a "major leak" code when I was able to fill the gas tank no problem and now I get a "small leak" code.

I have a 1999 XJ8. How much effort is involved in changing out the CCV valve? i.e. do you need special tools? Should I take it to a dealer to be done?

I am pretty handy and have done other work on the car (i.e. changed sec. chain tensioners). Just want to get some idea what I would be in for :-)

Thanks so much...

Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 AM

I think all of that is in the post above.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Is the canister close valve the same as the "purge" valve? The purge valve is located under the hood against the firewall in my XJ8.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Yes, I sit here and type out excruciatingly long and detailed responses to questions because I don't have a clue what I am talking about and only want to create a mythical self-image of expertise.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:52 PM

I think you are taking me the wrong way... I wasn't insulting you, from reading your other posts I definately know that you know what you are talking about.

I most definately appreicate the expert advice, I really don't know if the purge and canister close valve are the same thing. I know where the purge valve is (I see it under the hood), I just didn't know if there was another valve down stream somewhere.

Sorry if I came across as insulting, didn't mean to.

Thanks...

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 PM

If you re-read post #6, I explained where the CCV is located. The purge valve has nothing to do with the problem you are having with your car.

I can supply a new CCV for $57.00 (shipping included), PM me with your direct email so I can send a PayPal invoice.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Sorry the x308 threw me... I now know the x308 is the XJ8 in my case...

I PM'd my email address....

Thanks.....

Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 PM

It makes things more clear when you do alot of this stuff...a 2004 and later XJ8 is vastly different than a 2003 and earlier XJ8. So I get accustomed to calling yours an X308 and the later car an X350, but it's supposed to eliminate confusion instead of creating more. We're on the same page.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
<snip>
I have seen a number of these valves fail on both XJ and XK...
Mine did , come to think about it, what hasn't mine experienced?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Has the passenger's seat gotten sticky yet? Any footprints in the headliner??

Old 08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Has the passenger's seat gotten sticky yet? Any footprints in the headliner??
I always thought that was the first thing that happens with any new car.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM

braggart ?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Yes, I sit here and type out excruciatingly long and detailed responses to questions because I don't have a clue what I am talking about and only want to create a mythical self-image of expertise.
Keep throwing out that lifesaver JTO. Nothing Mythical that I can see.

Cats rule .....Dogs drool

Last edited by Catmando85; 08-18-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: goofe
Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ronmexico - It may depend on which gas tank and EVAP system your XJ8 has, but there may also be a vapor vent valve attached to the side of the tank which closes the vapor system from filling with liquid fuel during refueling. I think it is very rare, but if it fails, fuel can fill the evap system and saturate the carbon cannisters, which may have been what was described in post #5 earlier. Anyway, I believe this can also cause some refueling problems similar to yours, so if the CCV is fine, maybe check there.

JTO - if the refueling problem happens as a result of CCV failing in closed position, then there should be no emissions leak codes register because there is no leak. If fails while open, there could be a leak code, but operations should be normal, including fueling. CCV should only close when leak test is being performed. Is it possible for leak codes while CCV stuck closed, assuming no non-CCV failure related "leaks," and still have refueling problem? Also, if you were referring to the unfortunate results of a 3 1/2 year old's first attempt at exiting her new booster seat by herself while holding her crappy sippy cup filled with fruit punch, then yes, the passenger seat has gotten sticky and there are footprints on the headliner. How else would that happen?

H20 - I loved Tech so much I went there, twice.

Quick Reply: Tough time filling up gas tank