XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Transmission shifting firmer after fluid change and transgo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Transmission shifting firmer after fluid change and transgo upgrade

So 99 XJ8 with no transmission issues and 80K miles but I wanted to try and extend the life of the transmission. So I dropped the pan, replaced the filter and removed the forward valve body and slid in a new transgo main pressure valve. The oil was very black see photos. So I bought 12 liters of the ZF 5 lifeguard fluid and pumped out as much of the old fluid as possible while pumping in the new. You can see the process I used from the photos. I ran the engine for about 3 or 4 minutes while pumping in new to keep it full. It ended up taking all 12 liters before i got to where the fluid coming out was clean looking and a small dribble coming out of the fill hole at around 40C(after reattaching the return line of course). I did attempt to reset the transmission computer by removing the ground from the battery and holding it to the positive side for about 10 seconds but I noticed my presets in my radio are still there so maybe this isn't the right way to reset this computer?

Anyways now I can defiantly feel the gears changing where as before it was much smoother. I wouldn't call it banging into gear or anything like that but it's more pronounced now. Is this normal with the transgo valve?

Old 02-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

I am far from an expert on this subject, but I did have my transmission updated with the Transgo pressure relief valve about a year ago, and I did find a temporary difference in the shifting. Like you I had no previous transmission problems, the Transgo valve was a preventative measure. I found that after the update the transmission shifts could sometimes feel a little harsher, and occasionally seem confused when shifting down to first, and then setting off again at a stop sign. But all this went away after a few days, and it has been fine for the last 12 months, so I assumed it was just a break-in period for the valve and a "re-learning" by the computer.

BTW, I do know that you can disconnect the battery for a very long period of time without losing the radio pre-sets, while other things like seat memory etc, are lost immediately.

This may be complete conjecture, but I would drive the car for a week or so and I'm thinking the transmission will settle down.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:46 PM
Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts

John, where did you fill the transmission and what did you use to pump the fluid in.
Clive

Old 02-28-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by cliveb
John, where did you fill the transmission and what did you use to pump the fluid in.
Clive
I filled it from the normal fill hole and I had a hand pump that would pump a liter on every three pumps.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
I am far from an expert on this subject, but I did have my transmission updated with the Transgo pressure relief valve about a year ago, and I did find a temporary difference in the shifting. Like you I had no previous transmission problems, the Transgo valve was a preventative measure. I found that after the update the transmission shifts could sometimes feel a little harsher, and occasionally seem confused when shifting down to first, and then setting off again at a stop sign. But all this went away after a few days, and it has been fine for the last 12 months, so I assumed it was just a break-in period for the valve and a "re-learning" by the computer.

BTW, I do know that you can disconnect the battery for a very long period of time without losing the radio pre-sets, while other things like seat memory etc, are lost immediately.

This may be complete conjecture, but I would drive the car for a week or so and I'm thinking the transmission will settle down.
i like your idea. I’ve been driving it for almost a week and still shifting hard but it might be a bit more subtle now or maybe it’s in my mind.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by John Baker

I filled it from the normal fill hole and I had a hand pump that would pump a liter on every three pumps.
Do You have a lift, or are you extremely thin?
Clive