XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Tyres

Not really sure if this has been brought up before or not, I imagine it has been.

Due to whatever reason the previous owner did not like to have his alignment set, so what has happened is the front tyres have HEAVILY uneven wear (outside is very nearly bald whilst the inside is probably 60% tread) the back is pretty even.

So, this means I need new tyres, I really like the Pirelli P6's that are on there now, but the 225/60 16 98V are hard to find, and where I can find them they are a bit more than I'd like to spend ($120 + $35 s&h per tyre).

I really like the Pirelli tyre, however, I am thinking that to keep in touch with Jaguar's racing heritage, I may put a set of Dunlop tyres on there.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to keep it between these two brands if possible. I am willing to spend up to $130 per tyre if necessary.

Thanks!
P.S. until I buy new tyres would rotating them be a bad idea? Or would I not want terribly uneven wear on the drive wheels?

Old 06-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

You might want to look at Michelin. Consistently at or near the top in most tests and reviews. I have Premier AS on my Passat, and they have been excellent. Also Defenders on our crossover. Finally, Pilot Sport A/S on the XJR, nearly worn out, will probably replace with the latest version of the same tire.

Rotating might be a good idea, though wet handling might be dicey.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

With how it is now, wet handling isn't bad at all honestly, however, what does concern me is that they are older tyres. The back ones are slightly weather checked, not too bad, and one of the rear tyres you can tell was run a bit low for a while.

I drive roughly about 45 miles a day to work (95% highway) so, 55-65mph.
My grandparents have Michelin tyres on both of their cars, and frankly I am not overly impressed with them, but that is just me, I don't like driving their cars to begin with.

I plan to rotate my tyres tomorrow when I am at work, not having a central jacking point makes it more difficult than I like it to be. I will be able to get it up on the lift tomorrow and do it.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

You do not identify if you have had an alignment done but I will make that assumption. Between wear and age checking I would suggest that it is time to replace all four tires, not rotate them.

The Michelin tires are going to be more than your target price but not by much after a current $70 rebate program and in my experience are superior to any other brand. I have also had Cooper tires on a couple cars and been satisfied with them.

I discovered a few years ago that buying tires on-line is a very cost affective process. After several sets bought that way and installed by a local independent shop that is the only way I go. That was caused by a local tire store quoting over $300 difference on exactly the same high end Michelin tires. In addition to the sale price without local sales tax that saved another $56. Manufacturer warranty is not an issue either. In fact, I got better results dealing directly with Michelin Customer Service than I have experienced with local dealers.

Look through here: 225 60 16 Tires | eBay

Here is about the best deal around at the moment: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-225-60...84122306&rt=nc

Last edited by test point; 06-04-2015 at 05:04 AM.