XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

VDP redundant passenger seatback controls?

Old 07-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Default VDP redundant passenger seatback controls?

I just installed VDP seat backs with picnic tables in my XJ8. The passenger side seat back has controls to operate the front seat. Does anyone have any experience wiring up this switch?
Thanks,
Joe

Attached Thumbnails VDP redundant passenger seatback controls?-1005081_235236309934298_707566235_n.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

I bought a new seat harness when I did it on my 01 XJR . I can get you a part# if you want.
You also have a short harness going from the switches to the main seat harness

The following users liked this post:
Azcat (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Thanks. I picked up a used harness of eBay for about $15.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 AM

I have wired up everything on the switch with the exception of the backlight. On LWB cars there would be a connection for the dimmer control circuit under the seat. I do not have that wire....probably because my car is not a LWB.

Anyway, I connected the wire to what I thought was switched power, but it is constant power which results in the switch being backlit all of the time (even when the car is off). I am not concerned with the dimmer feature, I just want switched power so it is only backlit when the car is on.

I am having a difficult time finding switched power under the seat and the wiring manual is not the easiest to follow. It looks like I might be better off using a switched ground source...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Old 07-15-2013, 11:24 AM

According to the wiring diagram, the rear heated seat switch has the correct hot wire for the dimmer control. I guess I could pull the switch and tap into that wire. That might be the best route and it would also prolong the bulb life since it would only be illuminated when necessary.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts
Talking Dimmer ?

Where is the dimmer control switch ? I have a 2001 VDP and I thought I had most options. The switch on my passenger's seatback only has 2 rocker switches, one for tilt and one for back and forth. Just curious. It would be cool to have.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:28 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Azcat
I have wired up everything on the switch with the exception of the backlight. On LWB cars there would be a connection for the dimmer control circuit under the seat. I do not have that wire....probably because my car is not a LWB.

Anyway, I connected the wire to what I thought was switched power, but it is constant power which results in the switch being backlit all of the time (even when the car is off). I am not concerned with the dimmer feature, I just want switched power so it is only backlit when the car is on.

I am having a difficult time finding switched power under the seat and the wiring manual is not the easiest to follow. It looks like I might be better off using a switched ground source...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
not sure that I understand your problem, if you bought a used wiring harness, it's plug and play. no need to do any wiring.
My XJR is a short wheelbase and the switch is backlighted the way the factory designed it.
Do you have the 2 wiring harnesses?
The 1 from the switch to the seat harness and the seat harness that plug to the connector coming from the carpet

Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by luc
not sure that I understand your problem, if you bought a used wiring harness, it's plug and play. no need to do any wiring.
My XJR is a short wheelbase and the switch is backlighted the way the factory designed it.
Do you have the 2 wiring harnesses?
The 1 from the switch to the seat harness and the seat harness that plug to the connector coming from the carpet
The harness I purchased from eBay did not appear to be a direct plug and play. There were wiring color variations and some of the pins did not match up... I decided to not take a chance with the plug and play route. In other words, I made it difficult and went to town with my soldering iron. Anyway, it is all set now and the backlight works properly. I went with the lighting source from the rear seat heater switches.

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Where is the dimmer control switch ? I have a 2001 VDP and I thought I had most options. The switch on my passenger's seatback only has 2 rocker switches, one for tilt and one for back and forth. Just curious. It would be cool to have.
I have the same switch you have. The backlight is hooked up to the dimmer controlled lighting...meaning if you adjust the steering column mounted dimmer, the backlight for the seat control switches will dim along with all of the other dash lights.

Attached Thumbnails VDP redundant passenger seatback controls?-997999_235819063209356_1695843868_n.jpg  

Last edited by Azcat; 07-16-2013 at 01:30 AM.
JimmyL (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
I bought a new seat harness when I did it on my 01 XJR . I can get you a part# if you want.
You also have a short harness going from the switches to the main seat harness
Can you please post pics of yor seatbacks with tables. Thanks

Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Azcat
Thanks for the replies.

The harness I purchased from eBay did not appear to be a direct plug and play. There were wiring color variations and some of the pins did not match up... I decided to not take a chance with the plug and play route. In other words, I made it difficult and went to town with my soldering iron. Anyway, it is all set now and the backlight works properly. I went with the lighting source from the rear seat heater switches.

I have the same switch you have. The backlight is hooked up to the dimmer controlled lighting...meaning if you adjust the steering column mounted dimmer, the backlight for the seat control switches will dim along with all of the other dash lights.

Are you shy or something? Why didn't you tell me you need the original harness with the seatbacks? I certainly don't need it. Drop me a PM if you still want it, pay the shipping, and I'll send it to you free of charge. I am sorry I didn't include it with the seatbacks. I thought that all the seats have the same wiring underneath, but apparently VDP is different from XJ.

Azcat (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Daniel, I was under the same impression...I did not think the harness would be needed. I am all set now, but I appreciate the offer.