XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Jhartz the front sway bar bushings is fairly easy, 2 bolts per bushing, so total of 4. remove the 4 bolts and it will drop down, then swap bushings and put the bolts back in

Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM

so ive got a weird conspiracy, i bought my car from Chicago, all was well there. it up to Michigan and filled her up, CEL comes on, for random misfire, i ignore it. i just moved to Bloomington, IL last weekend and put some gas in, now no more CEL......... do states get different quality gas? i usually fill up the car with 93 at a Meijer gas station, both in Michigan and Illinois

Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 858 Likes on 706 Posts

I know that to be the case in West Virginia, not required to have ethanol. The first time I took my 4.2 L Land Rover to Cincinnati from Norfolk I was shocked at the improved performance once I filled up with gas in West Virginia. I think I would put A can of Gumout's very best in to clean the fuel injectors.

And then check for the codes.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

I installed Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads front and back.

Touched up the red paint on the calipers and shot a coat of clear over them.

I changed the brake fluid a few weeks ago so I bled the brakes a little just to be sure and all seems well.

Looking forward to less brake dust on the front wheels. We'll see....

I guess no one but us Florida folks know what "love bugs" are, lol. Google it, you won't believe what these bugs do while they are flying around, millions of them too. I'm going to go wash the front of my Jag right now.
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 05-20-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removed my headlining only to find that a previous owner has tried to repair it and used too much glue in places so the cloth is ruined. Now attempting to source a replacement headlining from a car that is being broken for spares around 40 miles away. Just need to figure out how I can collect it though since the headliner won't fit in any of the other cars that I have access to

Old 05-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Backed out of the garage into a pouring rain this morning only to get the "Check Rear Lights" message on dash. I've had that message before, but it was only when I'd hit the brakes which indicates that a brake light is not operating. This time the message was on continuously when the headlights were on, apparently indicating that the rear lights (tail lights) were not operating.

I drove to work with the rear fog lights on just to be a little bit safer. I checked the lights later today after it quit raining and, as I guessed, the tail lights were not working. I messed with the bulbs and now they work fine!

This rear light issue is starting to get on my nerves.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

changed nearside door mirror for one of old 300 as it had stopped working pos motor strait swop over no problem now i can ajust, just one of those silly jobs that needed doing

Old 05-28-2013, 03:17 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Fixed an oil leak from the cam cover, glued the left footrest rubber back on, and made up some foam pads to hold the boot floor off the space saver.

Question: does anyone know if XJRs with Milan wheels came with a space saver spare as stock? Mine has one, but it doesn't look like it was meant to: no underfloor support spacers, and the wheel retaining stud is too long for the thickness of the spare.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Drove over 1000 kilometres over two days. How can an auto V8 return 9.8 Litres per 100 K's ?? My Holden/Vauxhall Combo Vans struggle to do that! And a Combo at the speed I was doing would be worse.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Took the wife over to Malibu for morning coffee. Went through Mulholland and Las Virgines roads. The XJR handles like a dream, amazing for a 2 tonn car. Got lots of eye from locals.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Nothing yet today. But I washed them both yesterday, and soaked the leather in the conditioner. It's misting on the mountain this morning. They will not go out in the mist. Wife is taking the truck to work, and I'll drive the Benz. Keeping the cats clean for few days.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Drove over 1000 kilometres over two days. How can an auto V8 return 9.8 Litres per 100 K's ?? My Holden/Vauxhall Combo Vans struggle to do that! And a Combo at the speed I was doing would be worse.
Hiya Gipps....you've done very well!
My 98 4.0 litre Sovereign averages around 10.8 litres/100klm which for our American friends is about 21.8 MPG-US

I think I'm getting close to changing my upstream O2 sensors ;o))

Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Took the wife over to Malibu for morning coffee. Went through Mulholland and Las Virgines roads. The XJR handles like a dream, amazing for a 2 tonn car. Got lots of eye from locals.
Oh you poseur you ;o)=)
You love rubbing it in their faces ;o)

Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I glued the vinyl edging back onto the front door pockets. Also replaced the evap diaphragm valve on the fire wall and cleared the CEL. I hope that keeps it off.

I filled her up this morning. The pump shut off and I couldnt get any more in the tank, but the gauge shows 7/8 full. Is that normal?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced my antenna mast and treated all the leather surfaces with Connally oil.

Last night I replaced my center console lid due to cracking of the leather. I have a bad habit of resting my elbow in the same spot on the cover and therefore experience cracking in both cars. I bought a good cover off of Ebay but it had a broken cup holder, so I installed mine in its place which turned into more of a chore then I thought it would be. The new cover came out of a XJR100 and therefore has the red stitching which looks pretty nice. I think now I'll get the matching gear shift knob. Tomorrow I'll install a new fuel filter as it has been awhile since I replaced it.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 AM

I was about to buy a replacement antenna last week as mine was sticking and not retracting fully but didn't get round to it. Last night I sprayed a load of WD40 on to it and worked it a few times and its now as good as new!

Originally Posted by TTLSteve
Replaced my antenna mast and treated all the leather surfaces with Connally oil.

Last night I replaced my center console lid due to cracking of the leather. I have a bad habit of resting my elbow in the same spot on the cover and therefore experience cracking in both cars. I bought a good cover off of Ebay but it had a broken cup holder, so I installed mine in its place which turned into more of a chore then I thought it would be. The new cover came out of a XJR100 and therefore has the red stitching which looks pretty nice. I think now I'll get the matching gear shift knob. Tomorrow I'll install a new fuel filter as it has been awhile since I replaced it.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robskilling
I was about to buy a replacement antenna last week as mine was sticking and not retracting fully but didn't get round to it. Last night I sprayed a load of WD40 on to it and worked it a few times and its now as good as new!
I tried that to no avail. Mine was very much broken as I discovered after I pulled it out and only had about 8" of the plastic cord. This required to remove the whole antenna to get the rest out of the spool. I cleaned up the gearing and re-lubed with Lubri-Plate. It is pretty quiet now.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 858 Likes on 706 Posts

Installed the passenger side end cap to the hand hold that Danielsand sent. Cat is slowly becoming like new.

Next up, need to change the rear shocks; may have to have Abacus do it, tore my rotator cuff, in a fall a week ago. Cat is beginning to drive (and look like) like my last 01 XJ8 when it was a year old.

Thank you forum, especially Danielsand.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
I installed Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads front and back.
After a few hundred miles, I am very pleased with the performance of the Akebono pads and the fact that the dust factor has been reduced by about 90%. Exactly what I wanted!
Vector

The following users liked this post:
Porsche407 (10-09-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 PM

so at my gym there are two X308's mine a black XJ8, and another guys a black XJ8L

we park in the same area as each other, in the back of the gym.

he didnt show up to the gym today, so my car was the only one left in the back and my car gets keyed, across the hood and on the passanger fender.

i dont know anyone in this city yet, so i have a feeling this was intended for his car, but why would anyone key a Jag?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?