XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I don't think error free LED's will solve that problem, it is the residue left in the electric circuits.
It will as I had the same issue in my overhead console as well, the canBUS bulbs have built in resistors. I used the primitive cheap Chinese bulbs back there a few years ago & now it's haunting me via ghosting lol.

Edit :

The bulb on the left has the resistor in it's base where as the old style LEDs are just the easily bent wires. The style on the left have been awesome for me in every setting I've used them in.

Last edited by King Charles; 11-14-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

X308's been sitting a couple days so I took it on a errand run this evening, it's been raining heavily for those days & as I'm driving I feel a drop or 2 of water hit my head ?! I check it out & there was seepage @ both corners of the rear sunroof panel. I opened & sealed the roof to ensure I heard the normal seal. I gather in all of my overhead console tinkering I hit the sunroof button enough to break the seal. On drying I did notice my rear small panel/drain part is loose & can be move by hand w/ the roof closed. Is it supposed to be fully extended or any play left ?! For now I pulled it all the way out but if it's not correct I can adjust.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:00 PM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by King Charles
Edit :
The bulb on the left has the resistor in it's base where as the old style LEDs are just the easily bent wires. The style on the left have been awesome for me in every setting I've used them in.

King Charles are you saying the bulbs in the LHS are OK but the ones on the RHS aren't? I've got a feeling I've tried the RHS and they have me some kind of problem. I'll have to dig them out and try again maybe.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chris-jag
King Charles are you saying the bulbs in the LHS are OK but the ones on the RHS aren't? I've got a feeling I've tried the RHS and they have me some kind of problem. I'll have to dig them out and try again maybe.
The ones on the left w/ the solid base are the best in my experience.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi all. Well, after months of hospitals, painful procedures, and nowt done to the car, it's been a long time since I was on the Forum. However, after a few days recovery I was eager to go and collect the 19" BBS Alloys I managed to get my hands on from an XJR, that was before the hospital doctors got their hands on me!

What do you think?

I think they've done a great job!

I got 5 wheels, but only had 4 of them done. The original chrome trims were completely shot, mangled etc, so dumped them and had the split rim diamond cut. I was apparently fortunate that all the bolts came out without any issues on all wheels, and the new centers finished the job. I put on 255 x 45 x 19 Pirelli P Zero tyres on.

I've also still got the full set of body panels (Bonnet (Hood), Boot Lid, Front Wings, 4 Doors) all in primer waiting to go. Once I can manage to get the rear wheel arches sorted she's ready for paint, I've waited nearly 4 years to get this baby into a new coat of paint. Once that's done, I'll fit the new wheels and tyres.

Many thanks to Sean B for his help with finding a UK company that could do this, and also to a few others regarding their views on the best tyres to use.
Paul

Old 11-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Thought my headlights weren't quite as bright as they used to be - it's pitch black after about 5pm here in England. So I bought some H7 RING "xenon plus" halogen bulbs. Also bought some Philips white vision capless bulbs, w5w for those teardrop headlight fittings.

Both bulbs are nicely white and clear. The teardrop ones are much nicer than my old gaslight looking bulbs.

But afterwards I realised that the headlights were probably pointing a little low so had to figure out which button to push to sort that out. Much better now. All set for the winter proper.
The dial to turn is in red in the pic. I've not worked out what the other black plastic screw does though.

Headlight adjustment screw

Old 11-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Those 19's are super nice, didn't wanna go with a 35 series tire? Can't wait to see pics of them on your car!

Old 11-17-2019, 04:41 PM

Thanks Vegas_Jag, I was advised here on the Forum to go with 45's as they fill up the arches better. Let's see what they look like after they're fitted
Paul

Old 11-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by euphonium01
What do you think?

They look awesome.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Hi all. Well, after months of hospitals, painful procedures, and nowt done to the car, it's been a long time since I was on the Forum.
Welcome back Paul,

Seems you had a difficult journey, glad you seem not to have lost your enthusiasm.

Vegas_Jag has a point on the tires; 255/45 on those 19" have a far too large outer diameter.

I think you might mix up with a discussion for 18" rims, where a 245/45R18 gives indeed a slightly better filling of the wells than a 255/40R18.

However, for a 19", that should bring you to a 245/40R19, with a theoretical outside diameter of ~679mm over a 255/35R19 with a theoretical outside diameter of 661mm.

The following users liked this post:
euphonium01 (11-21-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 05:21 AM

Hi Eric, yes it's good to be back, hopefully hopefully to last longer than I did last time!

You are right, I think I have confused the previous discussion on wheels and tire size when I had the 18" Penta wheels. The thing was, I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on the 19" BBS wheels some time ago, and I didn't like the look of the low profile 35's. I found the full set of 5, 4 to go on the car and a spare one too, I understand these wheels are quite rare?

I have found a problem with the driver's door lock, not sure if it's because it's been stood, I've posted a thread for advice.
Good to hear from you again Eric.
Paul

Vegas_Jag (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

New 3rd brake light arrived I'll hopefully get it installed soon, my current eyesore of a set up is a scrap wooden "pry bar" holding the Gorilla taped fixture which sits on a chamois tube to the glass lol.

Question, what would happen if I were to just cut the old light's wire & remove it, would it interfere w/ any other wiring etc. Really dislike looking @ this mess lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 11-18-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Just replaced mine with a similar problem when the wires were melted to the plastic. I cut the two wires, the 2nd hand replacement had the connector on it so just soldered the wires together and they work fine? Tried putting 501 LED bulbs in, nearly blinded people behind me so went back to !
Paul

Old 11-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

The thing was, I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on the 19" BBS wheels some time ago, and I didn't like the look of the low profile 35's. I found the full set of 5, 4 to go on the car and a spare one too, I understand these wheels are quite rare?
Yeah, there are many here who will give an arm and a leg for a set, specially for a nice one as yours seem to be.

On the tires, I want to warn you they will not fit the car.
I am pretty sure the fronts will hit the lining at less than full lock (due to the larger diameter), and the spare will not fit into the recessed well.
Warning you now, as you might be able to change them unused for the correct size.

To judge the side wall, below a picture of my 19" Jaguar XK8 Atlas wheels, the fronts fitted with 245/40 tires.
They have the same outside tire diameter as on my 18" fitted XJ8, and are not that much off in comfort actually.
I add some comparison between the OEM 16", the 18" and 19" for reference.
Feel free to ask if you are not sure.

Last edited by ericjansen; 11-18-2019 at 06:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
euphonium01 (11-21-2019), Vegas_Jag (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 08:39 PM

Hi Eric. It seems I need to change the tires, which may be a bit difficult as they have been on for some time since before I was ill. I didn't think that from 35 to 45 was too much of a problem, but looking at the detail in the drawings I can see what you mean

The car is up on axle stands while I have the front bumper off changing the headlamp washer non return valve and replacing a split pipe, it seems to make sense to put one of the wheels on and just see what is what? If I can get the tires changed, just to make sure, will the 35s be OK?
Paul

Old 11-18-2019, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

i ...t seems to make sense to put one of the wheels on and just see what is what? If I can get the tires changed, just to make sure, will the 35s be OK?
I just went down to check on my XK8, to prevent I am talking bullocks ... which seems I am not .

1. My fronts are 245/40R19, with a measured outside diameter of 680mm (pretty much conform the calculator).
I imagine those /55 will be hard fit on my XK8, which has even larger wheel wells than an XJ8, I doubt you will get them in at all without hitting your fingers ...

2. IMO, you have 2 tire choices for your 19" wheels:
- 255/35 - Those are the lower profile, lower sidewall looking tires which were OEM on the 19" rims. There overall diameter is slightly less, giving a bit more visual space in the wheel well.
- 245/40 - Still low profile, but a centimeter more sidewall / comfort, and slightly larger in the outside tire diameter (same as the original 16"). I have that concept on both my XJ8 and XK8, and I love the look how they compliment the car, with full wells.

Below are a 255/35R19 fitted LWB, and my car"fitted" with 245/40R19 (rims photo-shopped to 19").
You see the difference ... maybe

Old 11-19-2019, 12:12 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Engine Swap in my 2000 red VDP

I purchased another 2000 red VDP that had a fantastic body and interior but a bad engine. I swapped the engine and transmission from my original 2000 red VDP. Took about six weekends as I replaced the timing chains and tensionors while the engine was on the engine stand. Started right up and runs & shifts great! I have a lot of extra parts since I'm going to have the old one towed away....

Vegas_Jag (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by David N. Warner
I purchased another 2000 red VDP that had a fantastic body and interior but a bad engine. I swapped the engine and transmission from my original 2000 red VDP. Took about six weekends as I replaced the timing chains and tensionors while the engine was on the engine stand. Started right up and runs & shifts great! I have a lot of extra parts since I'm going to have the old one towed away....

If parting I need the passenger side dash defrost vent!

Cm

Old 11-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear view mirror problems

So my 1998 xj8 Jaguar rear view mirror started going out. After checking on a replacement and cost, I read a thread in Jag Forums about a company and emailed Sybemas website. Here is the new cost and info. Hope it helps, if everybody has this, sorry for the repeat message. Vinman.

RE: New request from the info request form on Sybesmas website

Inbox
x

Stacy <orders@sybesmas.com>

12:07 PM (5 hours ago)

to me

Thank you for the inquiry. Unfortunately new replacements are not available and we are only able to repair internal rear view mirrors. If your mirror is Gentex (US) or Magna Donnelly manufactured, our facility can assist. We will remove the old glass cell and replace it with a new one. If you are unsure the manufacturer of the mirror, please feel free to forward some pictures and we would be happy to help identify. If you need removal assistance please contact a local dealer or windshield repair facility as those instructions have not been provided to us and we cannot assist.

Customers within the US :

$175 (Includes S&H)

• Once the unit and deposit have been received, repair time will be 3-5 business days, plus return ground shipping (typically additional 2-3 business days) Extra shipping charges will apply to Alaska and Hawaii

Note: We have found some customers may require an expedited repair. For an additional $25 your mirror can be expedited to a 1-2 day repair (not including shipping time).

International Repairs:

$160 (Plus return S&H)

• Once the unit and deposit have been received, repair time will be 3-5 business days. Unit will be returned the most economical route to the customer. (Via USPS, UPS or Fed Ex)

**For international customers please note that your country may have additional surcharge fees upon the return of your product. These charges are not included in the price above and will not be paid by Global Battery Solutions (GBS)**

Note: We have found some customers may require an expedited repair. For an additional $25 your mirror can be expedited to a 1-2 day repair (not including shipping time).

Please be advised that in order to replace your glass cell, we must open the plastics in your mirror. In the rare instance your plastics break beyond repair, GBS will make every effort to find a comparable replacement but no guarantees are made. Plastics and replacement parts are very limited in stock or not available at all. Typically we are only able to replace the glass portion of you mirror. In the instance plastics are needed (and available) there may be an additional fee to re-wire your mirror ($30).

Payment is made prior to repair. If your mirror plastics are beyond repair prior to sending in, we most likely will not be able to assist. Also, be advised that we are unable to test the operations in the home link feature, auto head lamps and rain sensor, so your mirror may or may not have this as an operable function upon completion of the repair. If the unit does break, $25 will be retained as a bench fee and the remaining refunded. (If you would like your mirror shipped back, an additional shipping/handling for charges will apply)

To proceed, please send your mirror along with your name/address/phone/credit card number stating you would like the mirror repaired and returned to the address below. If you prefer not to include your card number we will contact you via phone/email once the unit is received.

PLEASE NOTE:

• We no longer carry glass cells that support the slider button dim feature, or for the Mitsubishi Spyder as they are unavailable to us.

• Our program is for Magna Donnelly and Gentex made mirrors only (it will be the mirror owners responsibility to pay for return shipping if the mirror sent in is not from one of these manufacturers)

***Please DO NOT send in any additional plastics with your mirror (i.e. trim pieces, pins etc.) Your fully assembled mirror the only item needed. GBS will not be liable for any lost pieces***

Warmest Regards,

Global Battery Solutions

581 Ottawa Ave - Ste 100

Holland, MI 49423

616-392-6911

Carnival Kid (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

I didn't "do' anything special to my X308 today, but I did receive a check for the replacement and installation costs of my new front valance which was damaged on a parking stop at a local supermarket.

The supermarket claims adjusters were cordial, and the process quick, which was nice as some insurance claims can be arduous and trying.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?