XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What did you do to your X308 Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Received 129 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Safi
PM me Next please!

ok so funny thing, during my cruise, i kept smelling something funny in the car dont know if it was through the air vents or something else

then i figured i should stop by my local auto parts store and clear my Random Misfire Code, P0300

start up my car no CEL im happy, throw her in reverse, stalls dont know what happened start her back up, she gets close to stalling but i let off the brake and continue with my reversing

driving along then Restricted Performance appears now im confused, i continue driving along then experience a really rough shift dont know what gear maybe into 4th

Restricted Performance goes away all im thinking is why do i now have a mysterious Gremlin? Drive home continued normal from that point on

should i be worried? or is there a potential problem?
Have you replaced any of your ignition coils? If not I'd keep a spare in the trunk just in case. Ive had similar issues pop up many miles before a coil died. Ive lost 3 so far and all 3 times similar issues after driving a long time.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just drove a bit of a long trip

Yep, just made sure the oil and coolant were topped up and set off on two trips last week. the first, Kissimmee, Fl to Pensacola, Fl was just over 900 miles round trip. The second was from Kissimme to Cape Coral.Just under 600 miles round trip. I filled the tank 4 times and averaged 24 miles per gallon. The car never skipped a beat. In fact, the only problem was finding a decent radio station.

Since I've sorted out the minor underlying problems, the car has been just dead reliable...

Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, I was GOING to come in and brag that I fixed my washer pump, as I had gone out on my lunch break, pulled the liner back and fussed with it. It worked...until I drove down the road. This weekend I'll have actually pull it out and clean all the connections. But at least I know the pump works, saves me a few bucks.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Upgrades

Recently had satellite radio wired into car. Added window tinting to the back and rear window. (this State won't allow aftermarket tint on front windows) Looking to get some suspension work done soon.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Patioboater
The roads in Michigan are so awful right now that I don't want to drive my Jag on them. How awful is that?!!
That is awful. But, once we get past the spring pothole planting season...things should be better.

Nothing brings a smile to my face (well, besides blasting down some country twistie in my Europa or on my Honda) like a nice cruise in the big cat. Stretch her legs a little, open the taps and turn some fossil fuel into fun, and good tunes on the stereo. Find a little cafe' somewhere along the river...life doesn't get much better.

Got to lean into those moments when you can, you know?

Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Well not today but yesterday I installed a new heater feed hose. I also clipped a new side reflector which was missing when the was bought. Just got to replace the other hose tonight and change a few gaskets and the old bugger should be up to a watertight running condition again

I also hope that a few parts arrive quickly so I can put my New old tailpipes on... 100 mm (4") diameter! Non rolled... No more boring Mercedes style

Old 03-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I took my 2000 VDP through the car wash earlier, only to find out that the seal around the sunroof was split in the back (presumably where it was affixed to the other end of itself) so I had a leak there, so I put in some silicone based goo to fill the hole, cleaned and detailed the entire car inside and out, now looking into taking out the headliner to redo the headliner, and repair some rust spots on the paint this spring. Gotta figure out how to drop the bumper so I can do a couple spots there.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

No 1: replaced the leaky heating hoses
No 2: replaced the 8 intake gaskets
No 3: replaced the throttle body gasket
No 4: replaced fuel rail connector hose (the front one)
No 5: sealed the wiper water bottle so I can use it again
No 6: put two stickers on the car
No 7: got the boot/trunk lights working again
No 8: attempted replacing the tail pipes but found out mine are rusted on
No 9: took for a spin to see if he leaked -> BONE DRY! GOOD!
No 10: prepared the old man for his first usage in every day commuting tomorrow

Oh, the stickers:

Old 03-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bdboyle
That is awful. But, once we get past the spring pothole planting season...things should be better.

Nothing brings a smile to my face (well, besides blasting down some country twistie in my Europa or on my Honda) like a nice cruise in the big cat. Stretch her legs a little, open the taps and turn some fossil fuel into fun, and good tunes on the stereo. Find a little cafe' somewhere along the river...life doesn't get much better.

Got to lean into those moments when you can, you know?
We should get together sometime and go for a ride in and around New Hope, one of my favorite places to go with my motorcycle

Old 03-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

First daily commute with Rusty... That 3.2l V8 really makes youmwant to plod along rather than rush rush... The way it performs is really great. No rocket... No 4.0l NA V8. It just makes progress with ease. The fuel consumption doesn't seem absurdly high. A good 540-600 km range seems possible. And that with a good amount of city driving...

I'm looking forward to more! It was a pleasure having all windows open and the sunroof back and letting the spring sun into the car... Feels so right

Old 03-13-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Patioboater
The roads in Michigan are so awful right now that I don't want to drive my Jag on them. How awful is that?!!
The roads in Wisconsin aren't good either! I don't have another car, so I am stuck taking the Jag on shi**y roads that are full of puddles.. The XJ8 is just one of those cars that looks horrible with water spots.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Replaced my upper and lower coolant hoses, waterpump and WP gasket. I also had bought a new thermostat and gasket, but long story short, that didnt get installed today Im at about 74.4k miles right now and debating on whether I should get the entire cooling system flushed and install the thermostat too. I do have heat and no signs of overheating, but at this age and mileage, I feel it needed to be done

Old 03-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar get together... First time Rusty was looked at... He isn't in an as worse condition as I thought. He just looks tatty being green Though mowing the green would be easier than doing a detailing

The following users liked this post:
bdboyle (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Easy CD Changer Fix

I decided to tackle my inoperative CD changer this weekend, expecting to find issues with the plastic gear wheels as most others have found. However, these all seemed to be fine and I did notice a missing suspension spring (or whatever those things are called) when I removed the cover.

I assumed that someone had dismantled the thing before and simply lost the spring. Not so - while looking around for issues I noticed the "missing" spring jammed in the CD tray mechanism.

I retrieved it and put the entire thing back together and everything works great. I can only assume the spring jostled free at some point and jammed the tray. Easiest fix on this car so far!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Replaced a couple of side-marker lightbulbs that had burned out, then wafted downtown to an exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts with my wife and her folks. It was nice to have it back on the road after the winter, even if our Michigan roads are horrible. The Jag soaks up the bumps a good deal better than my Honda Civic Hybrid.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bulbs

Replaced some marker bulbs, and while I was at it, decided to try an orange bulb in the front 2 inner lights, as an experiment. One was burned out anyway. What do you think?

Hard to see the actual colour from the picture, but it's kind of like the new challenger inner light colour.....

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X308 Today?-img_0855%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member

I like it. Looks tidy!

Old 03-17-2015, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started the car after 2 months of winter. Great cloud of blue smoke. Uh oh. Took to car wash. Forgot to turn off radio and bent antenna (teach me to do a drive-thru rather than hand wash oh well). Only car we have with retracting antenna.
Anyway, in the wash, the low coolant light came on... Added somewhere between a pint and a quart.. Garage floor had no obvious puddles. Oil level checked and fine.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Blown boot/trunk light so changed both. Can actually see in there now. Also changed right outer headlight lens. Tomorrow will change headlight lamps for stronger whiter lights.

Last edited by Richy_Jsy; 03-18-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Additional work carried out.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Richy_Jsy
Blown boot/trunk light so changed both. Can actually see in there now.
I just did this the other day, as well as put in new clips for the licenses plate!

Although the bulbs that I used weren't the same as what was in it, they lit up, but am a little worried that since they're not the same (slightly higher voltage and wattage) hoping they won't cause any issue.

Today I also refinished the gear shift knob. It has some ugly cracks in it (just the finish) so I took it off, re stained it, and am currently refinishing it. For anyone that want's to redo ANY of the wood work, I strongly advise you be careful, and have power tools. I tried removing the finish with lacquer thinner, and several chemical strippers, to no avail. The finish (whatever it was) was too thick to sand by hand so I literally had to chisel it off...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X308 Today?