XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Won't start with "Stability Control Failure"

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start with "Stability Control Failure"

1999 XJ8 3.2 Jaguar. Last week suddenly wouldn't start with a "Stab. Syst. Storing" (Stability Control Failure?). Trying over and over again, different behaviours; Sometimes only above message. Sometimes, when applying the brakepedal during "System Check", a 'power down' occurs (no radio, no further outwards movement of the steering wheel etc). This seems very odd to me.
And occasionally, despite showing this message, starting up. When it's running, driving is no problem, until I switch off and want to start again.
When I try to start (and it fails) I hear a distinct sound ('klonk') as if there was a kind of shortcircuit or a powerdrain.
Sometimes the message "PECUS T" flashes by.
I've disconnected the battery, but didn't solve the problem.
I've try to read a OBD II failure code, showing only P1646, wich seems to be a HO2S sensing related error. (I only can read P-code, no C-codes etc.)

I've checked the brakepedalswitch, is working OK.
I've checked the ABS-sensors on the wheels and they are all 1,120 KOhm.
I even removed and (forced-) opened the ABS-module for loose power connections on the circoutboard (as sugested in the history of one of the forums) but all was OK.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rob (NL)

Old 07-02-2009, 12:28 PM

It turns out to be a partially discharged battery.
When the battery was charged, the problem seems to be solved.

It wasn't my first thought, in fact I didnt thought about that a second, but luckely someone pointed it out.

It seems that the message "Stab Control Failure" appears when the voltage drops below a certain treshold, probably one of the sensors.
No further real indication of a low battery. Eventually the engine started so it was misleading.

For now, problem solved.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Hey folks, I have a 98 XJ8 and I have a similar problem with the stability control fail and ABS warning lights. Used to be intermittent - now all the time. The car still runs fine - no issues other than the annoying lights on the dash.

I was hoping it was the battery and not the wheel sensors or ABS control unit.

With that in mind I tested the battery and it shows 12.4 volts and the cars starts everytime. Is 12.4 low enough to cause issues? Could it be a case where current drops too low during startup (I tested the battery right after driving the car)? What other tests should I do to eliminate the battery as the problem or did the reading of 12.4 volts already do that?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
98 VDP