XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR R1 Wheel Studs

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJR R1 Wheel Studs

After driving the newly acquired 2003 XJR home knowing there were a few issues to be sorted out I discovered that this vehicle had the standard XJR wheels on it instead of the BBS wheels required to clear the front Brembo calipers. Very poor spacers with extra long studs held the standard wheel out far enough to allow the car to drive but vibrate badly at 55-65MPH.

With a lot of help from this forum figuring out what exactly the differences are between the base XJR and the R1 package I began the quest for BBS wheel replacements. Aftermarket seemed the only practical solution but finding an equivalent wheel proved difficult. During this time I managed to locate a complete set of BBS 18" Milan wheels!

At this point I thought I would be driving this incredible car but unfortunately it turns out that the original wheel studs had been replaced by the aforementioned long ones and the standard ones listed in the Jaguar parts catalog (JZB100064) DO NOT FIT this hub! While it is a 1/2 inch stud with the proper threading, the splined shank is ~2mm to small for the hub.

Does anyone know what the proper stud is and have a part number or any suggestions on how to acquire them? I would prefer not purchasing new hubs just for the studs especially since the current ones have already had new bearings installed.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

If you are satisfied that the existing studs are the correct grade with regard to strength, why not cut them to length?

This can be done on the car:

-- get some machine nuts in the right thread
-- run two nuts down the stud until outer nut is at correct distance from the hub face
-- while holding outer nut from turning, turn inner nut towards outer nut to jam outer nut
-- cut stud flush with hacksaw using fine blade -- lots of oil helps, a jigsaw with metal blade might be an option
-- remove nuts
-- chamfer end of stud with a fine toothed hand file

-- repeat steps on remaining 19 studs

You'll want to use a good hacksaw with a good 24 tpi blade and a lot of tension on the blade. Same thing with the file, you want a really good sharp file. On the front wheels you will want to turn the wheel in one direction or the other for better access. You will also need to lock the hub using a stick on the brake pedal or a extra jack under the disc edge.

Of course, if the studs are out of the hubs, then the cutting can be done by any machine shop with a bandsaw, and the chamfering can be done on a grinding wheel. You do not want them to get too hot and lose temper. Any glowing is too hot.

Before you do any of the above, you may want to check that the broaching for the existing studs was done properly on center. Therefore, get the car up in the air and spin the tires. If they wobble up and down, then it may have been done off center. The saving grace is that the wheels on the X308 are hub centric. That means it is the hub that centers the wheel and not the studs.

ps. JEPC only shows one part number for front wheel studs for all X308 JZB100064 .

Last edited by plums; 12-23-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately the replacement studs are also to small and were tack welded to the read of the hub. So not only were the studs wrong but the spacers prevented the wheels from centering on the hub.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

presuming that the holes are at least in the right place and have splines as opposed to just being drilled out, then you might consider seeing what matches in the right size at a automotive supply house/machine shop.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 PM

There must be a way to find what a part is on a production automobile. I am still hopeful that I can get the information on this item that is missing from the jaguar parts list.

After having the fortune of obtaining the proper wheels it is a bit frustrating to be stopped by ten three dollar items because they do not appear on the official part list.

I do remain optimistic.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Which idiot welded the studs in place, some people should not be allowed to own Jaaaags.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

If the hub was drilled for different studs after it left the factory ... the factory information does not apply. They were probably drilled oversize to clear the spline of the longer stud because the spline was different. Not the right way to do it, but that's why they are now welded in.

Due to safety considerations, I would probably consider the hubs to be scrap from the description you have give so far.

JEPC lists "R Option" specific brake rotors, calipers and pads. But, the same hub and stud. You can always try phoning Jaguar North America a call.

Last edited by plums; 12-23-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 PM

My vin last digits are F57722. From the parts list this would be (hub) MNC1837BB. What I see on my current hub are round holes with scores. The bogus studs were smaller in diameter so I do not think the hub was drilled.
If I could at least confirm what was the proper gear then I could proceed.