XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Tire Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJR Tire Opinions

My 2000 XJR had mis-matched tires on it when I bought it [:'(]. Michelin Pilot Sport on the front and Bridgestone Potenza RE050 on the rear. I had a little noise from the front, but I figured it was because the tires wereold andfeatheredfrom bad alignment. I just replaced them all yesterday with new Michelin Pilot Sport (not PS2 or AS) and got a 4-wheel alignment. Wow - are these things noisy!! The noise increases with speed and the pitch and intensity of noise varies with changes in the road surfaces.After about 45mph, the sound dissipates, but at 30-35 mph it's horrid! On some surfaces, it feels like I am crossing the metal grate of a drawbridge! I think the rubber is too hard or the directional"V" tread design (or both)makes these thingsway too noisey. Too bad, though, they are a really aggessive looking tire and they handle like a rocket sled on rails!

I need a compromise between ultimate performance and noise so, I am going to get rid of these Michelin Pilots and would like suggestions/opinions on the tires you run. (I'm in Florida, sosnow/cold is not an issue.) I had Continental SportContact 2 tires on my BMW and they were fine (handled great and no road noise). They gripped like a mad mothereven inthe torrential avalanche of rainon the FL Turnpike at highway speeds. What's the story on Pirelli PZeros? I hear they dont last very long. The Bridgestone Potenza RE050 is a nice looking tire, and as I recall, I dont think they were particularly noisy. I dont have any experience with them, though (rain grip, wear, handling, etc.)

Any suggestions? Other tires? (Or tyres for you Brit-types )

Old 04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Default RE: XJR Tire Opinions

Well, I did a little more research and found that the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Pole Position is the highest rated tire in its category, according to respondents at TireRack.com. Perhaps I'll give these a shot...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...speed_rating=Y

Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven XJ-R's with all the tires mentioned above. I personally like the Pirelly P-Zero's.

I HIGHLY reccomend an alingment every 10,000 miles.

How do you like the car so far?

Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Envy337

I've driven XJ-R's with all the tires mentioned above. I personally like the Pirelly P-Zero's.

I HIGHLY reccomend an alingment every 10,000 miles.

How do you like the car so far?
I drove it from Philly to Gainesville, FL with no issues. It's a great car!This car is a2000 and has only 52K and is still under the Extra Mile warranty until the end of Sept. It has a ring binder with every service receipt, as well as the window sticker, both key fobs, valet key and all books! I like the car so much that I am seriously considering findingan '03 with few miles on it. That's the last year of what I think is the best body style on the XJR. I want to find one less used and hang onto it. Someone's gonna get a damn nice carwhen I go to sell my 2000!

BTW, I opted for the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires. They are the highest rated, but it's amazing how much less they cost than the Michelin Pilot Sports I just bought. They should be mounted on the car tomorrow. We'll see if they are really any good. The Pirellis are highly rated by folks, but they all say they just dont last very many miles.

As for alignments, I couldnt agree more! These cars have adjustments at all four wheels and they NEED to be properly aligned. Mine is now and WOW! Whatta blast to drive - especially around corners and highway clover-leaves. MUAHAHA! (always drive responsibly and obey all traffic laws.......when Johnny Law is around)

Old 04-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you driven a current Gen XJR?

Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 PM

Nope. I would imagine they are superior to the 2000-2003 in handling and performance. I just dont care for the look of the newbody as much as the older body. It's the same with my BMW 330 coupe. I dont care for the newest styling of the 3 series as much, either.