XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

‘limp mode’ issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:10 PM
TIG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ‘limp mode’ issues.

Let me open by thanking all of you who generously posted aWelcome to me. Thank you.

I own a 1990 XJ6 XJ40 4 litre auto. Had it for about 14 months and I love it todeath.

However, my 23 year old auto is having ‘limp mode’ issues.

I have reviewed the sage advice in this Forum and learned alot.

Using the step by step diagnostic as a process ofelimination I met my first hurdle, ie., the throttle potentiometer elecconnector. Very brittle, like otherplastic components under the bonnet, so my investigations have stopped there justin case I damaged it, and no backup.

In regard to ‘limp mode’, if I am able to get the carstarted in sport mode, the car sings like a bird

If not, which is most of the time over the past week or so theresult is limp mode.

So two questions I guess:

Are replacement elec connectors available, preferably fairlynew? I have purchased components on ebayand they turned out to being worse condition to the originals on my car.

Has anyone encountered the sport mode/normal mode problem Iattempted to explain above and possible solutions?

Cheers for now

TIG

Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

TIG,

I've moved this post from your Intro thread to the XJ40 forum.

Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 PM
TIG
Default Tig

Thanks very much Graham, appreciated.

I will get used to things as I experiment with the site.

So much to know and so little time.

TIG

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

TIG:
Welcome! Are you following the step-by-step from the Jag-Lovers website? That's a great place to start. It's in our 'sticky' section… And have you then tried all the prior things like disconnecting the battery, etc.?

Yes, you do want to take care about disturbing the TPS because it needs to be precisely calibrated. I've never done it, so i cannot speak from experience. But if it were me, if I had decided to replace it, I would put a new unit in, not a used part. It's not cheap, as I recall. Anecdotally, many a dirty or flaky TPSs seem to have caused the limp function.

And when you say 'limp home' mode, is the transmission light on?

I've never heard of a car doing this and operating completely normally in Sport. Although… Perhaps you are on to something. If the sport button controls the shifting points, and the TPS controls the amount of throttle is engaged when the car is supposed to shift… This may indeed be pointing in that direction.

Others, far more helpful, will undoubtedly offer shinier pearls of wisdom…! Good luck!

Scott

Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 AM
TIG
Default Tig

Hello Scott

Thanks for your interest. In limp mode the warning light is on.

I just returned home from work and started the Jaguar having turned it off whilst in sport mode yesterday evening.

It is still in sport mode today and no warning light. Reverse gear doesn't jerk and the World is good.

See what happens when you join the Forum, the Jaguar pays attention, ha ha.

Can't take the Jag our for a long run this evening as I am babysitting a 4 yo granddaughter who hogs the PC and I may lose work.

Will have another look at the Jaguar tomorrow morning.

Once again, thanks for your advice.

Ian

Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
TIG
Smile Tig

Well to continue the story. The car started in sport mode this morning and all is well. The gear changes are zippy and hot trans oil level is just above midway in Park after a good run. I live in a very pretty part of Australia so a good run is around bends, up and down hills and on very good roads for a country area.

The limp mode issue is still a concern but I now have some breathing space available to do some more research.

TIG