XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1988 VDP Chrome Grille/Trim

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 1988 VDP Chrome Grille/Trim

I've been working on an '88 VDP that I recently picked up. The car is very clean with very minor rust near the trunk lock and around one taillight which I'm currently cutting out and replacing with new metal. My question has to deal with the grille and trunk chrome. Shouldn't this car ( U.S. Spec ) have the fluted grille and trunk chrome being a Vanden Plas model or was it optional in '88. I've seen pictures of some with and without it. I ran the Vin and it comes up as a true VDP car,not a converted XJ6. The paint/sheetmetal , although original ,doesn't show any signs of accident damage or a repaint. One other thing....according to the owners manual there should be a release lever below the steering column for adjustment of the steering wheel but I'm not seeing anything. Was this standard ( VDP ) or optional?

Old 12-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Leaper
My question has to deal with the grille and trunk chrome. Shouldn't this car ( U.S. Spec ) have the fluted grille and trunk chrome being a Vanden Plas model or was it optional in '88. I've seen pictures of some with and without it. I ran the Vin and it comes up as a true VDP car,not a converted XJ6.
Hi 95Leaper,

I honestly don't know if the early XJ40 VDPs came with fluted grilles. I do know that our '88 U.S. "Base" model was the equivalent of the middle-range "Sovereign" in other parts of the world, and was even marked Sovereign in marker on a metal bracket behind the glove box.

Originally Posted by 95Leaper
One other thing....according to the owners manual there should be a release lever below the steering column for adjustment of the steering wheel but I'm not seeing anything. Was this standard ( VDP ) or optional?
I'm fairly certain that the steering wheel on our '88 would not tilt up or down, but it would telescope in and out, and there was some sort of lever underneath the column that released it so you could move it. If I recall, the lever handle was plastic. I wonder if the lever on your car was broken?

Cheers,

Don

Old 12-10-2016, 04:47 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Well,I managed to find the big black plastic lever below the steering column today. It turns out someone had covered it with the lower dash facia panel. Wondering what else is lurking beneath!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-10-2016)