XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1990 xj6

Old 04-26-2017, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 xj6

Have a xj6 1990 have electrical issue..windows will roll up automatically and 4ways will turn on if key is turned off...went thru fuses but couldn't figure it out...maybe relay??? Thanks

Old 04-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Received 12,696 Likes on 6,364 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportster48
Have a xj6 1990 have electrical issue..windows will roll up automatically and 4ways will turn on if key is turned off...went thru fuses but couldn't figure it out...maybe relay??? Thanks

Hi Sportster48,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I apologize if I do not clearly understand the issue with your Jaguar. Are you saying that when you turn the key off with the windows down, the windows automatically raise to their closed positions?

And in addition, at the same time the "4ways" turn on? I'm not familiar with that term. Are the the 4ways the quad headlamps or something else?

The Central Microprocessor (CPU) is involved in the power window operation. The schematics in the Electrical Guide will be helpful in identifying other possible suspects. You can download it here:

1990 Jaguar XJ40 Electrical Guide

In the meantime, please visit the https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The windows roll up while driving if you hit a bump or if you shut a car door almost like your holding the central locking switch and the hazards come on when the car is shut off

Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Received 12,696 Likes on 6,364 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportster48
The windows roll up while driving if you hit a bump or if you shut a car door almost like your holding the central locking switch and the hazards come on when the car is shut off
I might suspect a loose connector at a switch, but since the hazard lights are operated by their own separate switch I don't think that could cause both problems.

The Central Microprocessor (CPU) is involved in both the power windows and the hazard lighting, so it's a possible suspect. A known issue is corrosion on the CPU electrical connectors and water ingress into the CPU case due to clogged A/C drains that allow water to pool under the evaporator in the center console and to slosh over onto the CPU when going around turns. It would be worth checking the CPU for those problems, but unfortunately it's mounted to the right of the climate control unit/center console behind the knee bolster and glove box, so getting at it takes a bit of work.

I don't know if the Jag-Lovers large photos have been restored, but at the link in my signature you can at least see thumbnails showing the CPU and how to remove the knee bolster and maybe the glove box (I can't remember if I ever posted those photos).

Cheers,

Don