XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1992 XJ6 Sovereign

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1992 XJ6 Sovereign

I need assistance and/or have 3 questions in regards to my 1992 XJ6 Sovereign;

Issues 1:
If I disconnect the battery I need to put the security code back into the audio system and the security light flashes for the audio system as well.

So I know the display and buttons work on the system.

The problem I am having is the system doesn't do anything else. The antenna doesn't go up or down. The display doesn't show any channels. Absolutely no sound comes from any of the speakers, not even static or popping.

I've checked all of the fuses and relays that I could find and they are all good.

I am at a loss as to what to look for or check next.

I'd prefer to keep the car original and not remove the factory system.

Issue 2:
Does anyone have instructions, pictures, advice, etc... on how to replace the right side (passenger) blower for the climate system? Mine burnt up this morning and filled the car with smoke.

Issue 3:
The climate system seems to blow more air on the windshield than from the dash vents facing the passengers. I've read several threads in here that talked about how to check to see which of several possible causes might be causing my problem. One is said to be easier to fix than the other. But I must be missing something or not understanding what the threads are talking about. I remove what I believe is the cover they are referring to, but I don't see anyway to check as the firewall separates and allows no access.

Does anyone have a picture of the cover I am supposed to remove and the process for checking to see which issue I have?

This issue existed prior to the issue described in #2 above.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks for your response, but I don't think I explained the issue well enough;

Being able to put the security code in is the only function that works on my audio system.

However once the security code is put in (and it's the correct code because I have the factory card with the code on it and it accepts the code) nothing else works on the audio system. Not even static from the speakers.

So this tells me something isn't working, but i don't know what. I've replaced all fuses and relays that are part of the system without any change.

Again, thanks for your response.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the inline fuses on the radio they are under the ski slope. That is a possible problem point for the radio.

The blower motor is a pain in the butt but doable. PM Christo on here or search for JTIS download. He has the complete dealership service manual for free download for our cars and it goes through the steps required to remove it.

I'm finishing replacing both of mine tomorrow it's not real fun but it's not as bad as it sounds.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Default Thanks ArmyJag

I was able to muddle my way through replacing the blower motor. But I will definitely look for the free downloadable manual.

"Under the ski slope"??? Not quite sure where to look or how to access, but it's late and I'm not going out to look right now. Maybe once I look at it in the morning the light bulb will go off.

Thanks for your assistance.