XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

4.0 Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.0 Hesitation

Hi all, this is my first post and I'm truely a rookie when it comes to a Jaguar. The issues I'm dealing with are very annoying, and I hope it's nothing too serious, where it involves serious repairs.

I have a 1994 XJ6 with the 4.0 and the issues I'm dealing with is a rocking motion and bad throttle response. After I purchased the car, which I got for $700, my friend went thru it and found the tranny mount was shot or, at least the spring was somehow out of place. He fixed it where there was support but, the engine rocks slightly as it idles and it seems the motor mounts are fine externally, unless there's something inside that has worn out?

The other thing is, it has varying acceleration and throttle response, plus I noticed heavy smoke coming out the exhaust at times. The hose coming out of the intake air ductwork isn't attached as the nipple broke off. I put a bolt in both the end of the ductwork and hose to try to keep the sensor from making the engine run worse. I know I have to replace it and maybe that's the issue but, it seems more than that. I ran two cans of BG engine cleaner in it but, I'm thinking there's something that may be restricting the fuel flow? The person I purchased the car off of thought something was seriously wrong with it as after he parked it for the winter, it would turnover slowly and then died. So, after winning the bid on ebay, I switched the battery over from my van and it started right up but, I believe the fuel might have tarnished from sitting for over a year. Anyways, one question. Is there a guide that I can use to make sure the fuel system is clean? I'm thinking the BG cleaner didn't get all the tarnished or dirt out of the fuel system. The fuel filter is froze on the line so, I've been spraying it with penetrating spray but, are there any other areas that would trap the dirt and tarnished fuel?

Thanks! And, if there's anyone near Selinsgrove, PA (1 hour north of Harrisburg) that is good with these cars, please let me know!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

moved you to the correct area, the XJ40 is for you. g'luck

Old 08-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi, it is going to be difficult for anyone to be able to give good help until you have all your plumbing 100%.

As regards a 'guide' you might find the link to the XJ40 book in the FAQ at the top to be of interest.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello, TuBBeD,

You live near my old stomping grounds. I'm originally from Ridgway, and lived for some time in Lock Haven when I worked for Piper Aircraft. I don't know of any good Jaguar mechanics in that area, but I would imagine there would be one in Harrisburg, if anywhere. Jaguars are not that common in central Pennsylvania. I too am a recent new owner of a Jaguar. Mine is a 1990 XJ6 and it has some issues. But I'm slowly working through them as time and money permit. This forum has been the source of good advice and the members are willing to offer it whenever possible. Jaguars are a wonderful car though and I hope that you can get yours running well soon. Richard's suggestion is good advice though. Get that plumbing hooked up correctly, drain out that bad gas, and go from there. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies . I just found out 3 of my spark plug holes, where the boots slide in are filled with oil. It's burning oil too, which has me thinking the rings are shot. Unless, there's something that will allow the oil in great amounts to accumulate in the cylinder head? If need be, I'll rebuild it or transplant another engine in. But, is this heard of with these engines? Thanks.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm a Jaguar newby too, but I'm working on my '90 model XJ40. Maybe I can be of some help with part of your problem..

Regarding the spark plug chambers being full of oil.
The first thing I'd do is pull the valve cover. It's super easy to do, just a few screws, all readily visible, and it pops right off ... no angst.
You'll see that under the valve cover is a round rubber/plastic seal that seals each spark plug hole. That's the first place I'd check.

Don't be scared of pulling the valve cover. It's sealed by a rubber strip, so no gaskets to worry about tearing.
You can have the cover off in like 3-4 minutes. Maybe 10 if you stop for a beer!