XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

93 sovereign no fire :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 93 sovereign no fire :(

So I was on my way home from work I got in my car and cranked and cranked and cranked...... but no fire. She's acting like there's no fuel/spark. I know the fuel pump is running as I can hear it and feel it at the rail. Also 2 days before I used the security. Switch in the center console. It is off now but there is a little red light on my dash that is blinking when it sits there. The security fuse is one that I pulled when checking them. Is there a way its got me locked out to keep it from starting? Any other ideas???? I appreciate. The help and I need my car to be at home and not at my office. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey, we're almost neighbors.

You've got fuel, correct?

there is a little red light on my dash that is blinking when it sits there.
The blinking instrument cluster light is on the right, isn't it? Which light?

You've got a 4.0? Are you getting the ENGINE MANAGEMENT FAULT (AMBER) light to come on? It's the last on the left column.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM

I have fuel at the rail yes. And the light is red on my Demist vents. It is the 4.0.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Hi,

OK, I'm assuming it must be fuel or fire since you drove her there.

1. The simplest thing I can tell you is to follow the instructions from Haynes that I posted on another thread. It's only 4 pages long. The first page is car won't start and the last is tips on towing her home with another car.

Haynes-Roadside_Repairs.pdf

I suggest if you don't have a manual, Haynes is not that bad of one and much better than nothing at all.

2. I am still unsure what a triggered inertia switch turns off in an XJ-40. I know in a Ford tempo the fuel supply gets turned off (pump).

3. You need 40 psi fuel pressure for the car to run - not 10 or 20 psi which is more than enough to spray all over the ground. This needs to be tested with a gauge.

4. You need to test for spark. I'm tired of getting shocked and now a days the ignitions can be lethal, so I suggest you buy a spark ignition tester for US $6-7. They are cheap looking so I've made them in the past out of junk parts.

Good luck and keep us updated if you please.

Attached Thumbnails 93 sovereign no fire :(-spark_ign_tester.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM

thanks for the help guys. i did i whole bunch of tests. and i cant find that fuel switch.... but i think im looking at a cps issue here. i have one on the way so ill see then i miss my big cat.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 PM

xl,

1. The inertia switch is a special electrical device that provides circuit protection by switching off the ignition and fuel pump upon impact in the event of a vehicle collision. It is located behind the left kick panel (driver's feet).

2. Have you read this XJ40 document provided on the Jag-Lovers website?

- Jag-Lovers' xj40 Ebook: Index Page -