XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

'93 XJ40 ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 XJ40 ignition problems

My 93 started cutting out on me one day last week and died while driving. I thought it was water contamination in fuel, as I filled up day before. I got her going again and made it to work last Wednesday, and today, there she sits.

I got off work Wed night and it wouldn't fire up, just crank till it killed the battery. Next day, charged up and tried. Would run sporadically a bit and die. Pulled plugs, fouled. Changed plugs, cranked a bit and no spark. Tested coil, and plugs and dist. No spark at all.

Ordered CPS as I have read all kinds of stuff on here about it. Got it today, installed, cranked a while spit and sputter a bit. Finally got it started and held it about 3k rpm and all was nice and smooth for about thirty seconds and it was like someone flipped a switch and she just died.

So, fellow Jag owners, I am begging for some good advice without throwing parts at it since they are so darn expensive.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Brian

Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Brian,

Did you test again for spark after the new CPS was installed?

Have you done any other work on the vehicle with either fuel delivery, air delivery or electrical?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Brian:
So, it's probably not this and owners with actual mechanical experience will probably give you much better advice, but…

I had almost the exact same set of circumstances happen to me a number of years ago (including replacing the CPS), and the whole thing ended up being a failing fuel pump relay. On your '93 I *think* it's located in the trunk. Pop in a relay from a secondary system elsewhere in the car, and see what happens!

Cheers,
Scott

The following users liked this post:
bdshultz (02-22-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:22 PM

I have not yet checked for spark, I needed to get home so had to postpone further testing until tomorrow. If it is getting spark, I would be very surprised.It's like it gets spark, starts, runs and then loses spark. I will check tomorrow and report back.

As far as the fuel pump relay, I'm getting fuel to the point of flooding out, but will also run a fuel pressure test tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:19 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

It may very well be contaminated fuel. I see you said you filled it, but it doesn't take much water to foul the entire system. Once fouled it takes a long time to clear it out.
You surely have spark, but as noted above better to check and be sure. Check the lead coming out of the coil, sometimes that tight connection loosens up a bit and can cause intermittent spark issues. Put a volt meter on the lead coming out of the coil. Crank and see what you get. If it looks healthy, do the same thing from any output lead of your distributor. I'm leaning towards a fuel issue though.

bdshultz (02-22-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 01:39 PM

I ended up replacing cps again and ignition control module, to no avail. I have run sea foam through it already but since its on sale, ill run it again.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 PM

Brian,

Did you do any work around the throttle body at all? Symptoms sound like not proper mixture of air/fuel. Scott mentioned checking the fuel pump relay, there is a method of applying a jumper to the relay base as a temporary measure to eliminate the relay being the problem. I haven't ever needed to do it myself, but search the forum for instructions

If you did work around the throttle body, I'm wondering if perhaps you upset the TPS (throttle position sensor). It's critical that it is set properly. It measures the opening of the throttle and sends a signal to the ECU for the proper mixture to the fuel injectors.

Also, check all vacuum hoses for not being properly seated or cracked, in particular for any associated with the intake manifold. Any variance in the induction system can produce problems.

Let us know, keep your chin up.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 PM

If its fuel, then there must be gallons of water in it. The soark however, is weak and cits out. Idk. This thing has ruined me on Jaguars...

Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM

I did clean the tps, bit only after the problem started. It was covered in oil and I just sprayed it with qd electronic cleaner. I just checked spark again and its orange and weak. Ordered coil, this thing should be a boat with how many times I have Busted Out Another Thousand

Old 02-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Brian,

That is significant. Such a little piece of equipment can cause all kinds of headaches. Did you clean it while it was attached to the throttle body, or did you remove it to clean? If you removed it, or if it even moved while cleaning it still attached to the throttle body, it needs to be calibrated with a meter then the set screws tightened.

I realize you cleaned after the problems started, but you still need to ensure it is set exactly to specs in order to eliminate it as a contributing factor to your problems.

I'll send you a pm with my email address, respond back and I'll reply with the tech bulletin for calibrating the TPS. I know you could also find it on teh forum somewhere.

Originally Posted by bdshultz
I did clean the tps, bit only after the problem started. It was covered in oil and I just sprayed it with qd electronic cleaner. I just checked spark again and its orange and weak. Ordered coil, this thing should be a boat with how many times I have Busted Out Another Thousand

bdshultz (02-20-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Default Update

I went to go check the TPS after some really good info provided by Rob, thanks again, and took off intake tube from throttle body to make it easier and discovered an ungodly amount of sludge and water in it and the throttle body. I cleaned all that out and she started right up. I was tickled to death and put everything all back together.

I decided to drive around a little just to see what happened and wondered if I was going to make it home after all. Kept cutting out and losing power so tomorrow I will take it all apart again and clean and hope that finishes this whole ordeal.

Thanks for all the help and if anyone else has pointers on dealing with this nasty stuff, please share!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 PM

Brian,

You may find the following link useful in regard to the TPS:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Credit to Don B of Tennessee for the photos.

You may need to join the site to view, it's free just like this one.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:19 PM
Default Update 2

I took off throttle body and cleaned it all up. Being February in Missouri, it was a little chilly and the black plastic thing on throttle with spring attached snapped in two. I noticed the hose from oil filler neck that has Y in it and some unfathomable sensor or heater or whatever was cracked. Took some good ole backwood engineering to make something. Got all put back together and still won't hit. Trying to find wire diagram to TPS so I can check it and am going to pick up new car Wednesday so this POS can get crushed after that for all I care any more! And yes, I am being serious. This thing is DONE!