XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 won't stay running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 won't stay running?

I have a 1994 xj6 4.0 automatic. I was driving home and all of a sudden lost power, restarted and would not go over 30mph reguardless of how much I peddled the gas. Got it home ,changed the tranny filter/fluid, fuel filter, and plugs still wont run,,i know I have fuel? Anybody have a clue? thanks

Old 10-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Hi johnny-jag,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums. It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your post from the forum for the X350 to the forum for the XJ40, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 1994 XJ6.

My first question: Is white steam coming from the exhaust pipes? If so, your head gasket has probably failed between a coolant jacket and a combustion chamber.

If no white steam, my second question would be: Is the transmission warning lamp illuminated in the Instrument Cluster? If so, your car is in Limp Home Mode due to a malfunction somewhere in the Engine Management / Transmission Control systems. The most common cause of LHM on our '93 has been oil contamination of the electrical connector for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). The TPS is mounted on the underside of the Throttle Body (TB) and on our '93 its electrical connector is clipped to a bracket mounted to the cylinder 3 intake manifold just to the left of the TB. Separate the two halves of the electrical connector and check for oil, gunk or corrosion. Clean with zero-residue electrical contact cleaner, allow to dry and reassemble. It helps to put a coat of dielectric grease on the outside of the smaller half of the connector to help prevent future contamination (do not put grease on the connector terminals). It is also a good idea to clean the TPS itself, but it's more work. See the photos in my albums at the link in my signature.

If the transmission warning lamp is not illuminated, my next step would be to check the Vehicle Condition Monitor for any stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes. To do so, turn the key to position II (ON) but do not start the engine. Press and release the VCM button on the trip computer to the right of the steering wheel, then watch the small display window below the speedometer for a message. Fault codes are in the form of Fuel Fail or FF and a two-digit number. For example, FUEL FAIL 89 or FF44. If you have one code stored, you may have more. Let us know and we'll tell you how to read the additional codes. In the meantime, don't disconnect your battery or you'll lose the other stored codes.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (11-03-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Thanks Don,, no white smoke, good conn. at tps plus good voltages at tps and mafs. Car will turn over up to 100 rpms then die?

Old 11-14-2016, 12:37 PM

Yes tranny lite is on

Old 11-14-2016, 12:38 PM

My VCM has not worked since I bought car?