XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

'94 XJ 6- starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '94 XJ 6- starting problems

On the starting problem, there almost has to be a bad cable connection. Check your positive and negative cable connections at the battery and make sure they are clean and bright. If you can start the engine with a booster/charger, you must not be getting full current from the battery. You also might want to check the connection at the starter. The only other thing I can think of is a weak starter as the problem.

Don't really know what your gas problem is, but I don't believe it is related to the starting problem....Doug

Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '94 XJ 6- starting problems

I would need some more info on the problems to help out.

Starting Problem
When you try to start the car and it gives you problems, does it sound like a dead or dying battery while cranking or does it crank strong and just not turn over?
When it is cranking and not starting, are you getting anything at all (like it starts to turn over but then goes back to a crank)? Or is it just constant cranking with no results at all?
When you are having this problem, is the tank at helf level - or does it happen all the time?

Fuel Problem
Are you absolutely sure that your gas guage isn't broken?
Does the car buck under heavy accelleration when you are nearing the 1/2 fuel mark?
Does it die all together, or does it sometimes start?

If you can answer those questions, I'll have a better idea on what it may be. Right now I am thinking;

Starting Problem
Dying alternator. Even though the alternator may test out well, it could still be bad. Have the shop test it under load and see if that makes a difference. This is probably your issue. Either that, or a dead battery - but you said that your battery is new. It could also be a loose battery cable as was mentioned above - so check that first. Even if the cable is on there tight, take it off and wire-brush the terminal, then replace. Maybe it just doesn't have a good contact.

Fuel Problem
Fuel pump. Running good at a full tank and poorly at lower levels is a sign of a dying fuel pump. This is really easy to diagnose. Just hook up a fuel pressure guage to the schraeder valve on the fuel rail. If it reads low, then you need to replace the pump. It may also be the filter, but I don't think so.