XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 xj6 electrically gone haywire

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 xj6 electrically gone haywire

Hey everyone, I have a 94 xj6 that's has some weird problems. First off it cranks but doesn't start, I pulled each plug and found that they all have gret spark, but they seem to be covered in fuel when I pull them. More recently everything went crazy inside the car. wierd beeping noises from everywhere, the seat adjustment motor clicking, the windshield wipers going when they shouldn't, and now it just clicks instead of cranking. It has a fuse 2 and fail error code. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Welcome to the forum jonesy01760,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help section to the XJ40 section. Members here with the same model will be able to advise on the electrical gremlins.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Hope it turns out to be an easy fix.

Graham

Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Jonesy,

Welcome. Start with the basics, disconnect your negative battery cable and leave it disconnected for a defined period of time, I would leave it overnight or at least several hours. While it's disconnected, pull every fuse, it won't take that long, and examine every one of them for failure, replace if needed or if they look severely burnt. Reconnect the battery to see if the various indicators have reset..... Don't start it... , put the ignition to position II and either yourself or someone be by the boot, lid open, and listen for the fuel relay to click when the ignition is placed in position II, this way you know the relay is energizing the fuel pump...on to the next problem.....

In regard to your examination of the plugs, did you actually pull both the plug boot and the plug? I'm asking for clarification because I want to ensure we're not talking about oil on the boot, which would mean you will need to remove the cam cover and replace the cam cover gasket, plug seal and sealing plugs. Not a difficult job, just want clear description of what your seeing.

Do you have means of testing the fuel pressure at the injector rail? There are a host of items we need to eliminate in regard to fuel delivery.

Did you have any work done on the vehicle recently? If so, what was the scope of the work?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Jonesy:

I'd just call the priest for a little blessing! No, of course just kidding. Rob's got great suggestions. Give them a try and report back. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the process of remedy. I know that's easier said than done, but it beats driving a Hyundai Elantra.

(Not intended to offend - too much - any Elantra owners out there...)

Cheers!
Scott

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Late model XJ40's have issues with cracked solder joints in the fuse-boxes.

All circuits on the car pass through the foot well fuse boxes and a cracked joint or high resistance there will cause all sorts of problems - you might want to yank them out and re-solder the joints given the multiple electrical symptoms you describe.