XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

94 XJ6 starting issues, engine is turning over but its a different sound than normal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 94 XJ6 starting issues, engine is turning over but its a different sound than normal

Help Please, I went to start my car and the normal sound it makes when engaging was different, it was almost like a whine or a hum, but wouldn't start, could this be a starter, any suggestions would be so very helpful. Thank you, Julia

Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

When you turn the ignition to the "on" position(not cranking the engine),do you hear a hum from the fuel pump coming from the rear of the car. It is somewhat of a faint hum. Secondly,you'd want to check to see if the engine is receiving spark. To do this remove one of the spark plug wires from the top of the engine and place a screwdriver into the end where the wire would normally go into the spark plug.Then lay the screwdriver shaft close to (about 1/8-1/4" away) from a metal surface without touching the metal itself. While cranking the engine you should see some spark jump the gap between the shaft and the metal surface. That will let you know if it's getting spark. Your other option is to go to an auto parts store and buy a tool called a spark tester which basically does the same thing but it's plug and play and costs about $10.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

BTW,have you checked the VCM for any codes?

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Julia,

Since the sound while cranking is different than normal, it would be worth opening the hood/bonnet and having someone else turn the key to crank the engine while you watch the pulleys and belt on the front of the engine to see if they are moving. If not, the starter pinion gear is not engaging the ring gear on the flywheel, due to a malfunctioning or seized starter solenoid.

Is it possible that what you are hearing is just the starter motor running but not the engine turning over?

Sometimes it is possible to free up a seized solenoid by tapping it with a small hammer or socket extension. The starter on your car is difficult to reach because it is below the intake manifold and brake master cylinder, so snaking a long socket extension down to the starter solenoid and tapping the upper end of the extension with a hammer might be a way to jar the solenoid loose. Just take care not to touch the extension to any of the electrical terminals.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-25-2017 at 11:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (01-28-2017), Lawrence (01-25-2017), MountainMan (02-07-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks Don

Don you are so very very helpful to me.......I did a flood start and it started right up, who would have thought...I guess when I did the initial start and didn't fully engage the starter(even though I never give it any gas) I flooded it. It was showing code Fail46 and Failure. Your help has always been 100% and very thorough. I am one who really appreciates your responses.......Do you happen to know where I would find the vanity covers( don't know what they are really called) of the seat belts(the tan part) mine are crumbling, do you have to buy an entire new seat belt, or the outer part be replaced? Thanks so very much!
Julia

Old 01-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by jkm210
Do you happen to know where I would find the vanity covers( don't know what they are really called) of the seat belts(the tan part) mine are crumbling, do you have to buy an entire new seat belt, or the outer part be replaced? Thanks so very much!
Julia

Hi Julia,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement!

Regarding the seat belt parts, are you talking about the plastic covers of the buckle or latch mechanisms, Part 2 in this diagram?

If so, I don't believe the covers are available separately from Jaguar, but you should be able to find some off of a salvaged car. If I recall correctly, they are made in two parts that snap together in clamshell fashion. To remove them, just carefully pry them apart. I can't recall if there is a screw that attaches one half of the cover to the latch.... If so, just remove that screw before you carefully pry apart the two halves of the plastic cover.

There is a small switch inside the buckle to indicate whether or not the seat belt is fashioned. Take care not to damage the switch and as you take the covers off, note how the switch is mounted so you can position it correctly when you install the new covers.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (02-03-2017), MountainMan (02-07-2017)