XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

'94 xj6 window problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 xj6 window problem

Hello,

I just bought a '94 xj6 yesterday and there's a few things that need work.
So, let me start with the windows. Well, they don't work or they don't work correctly I should say. The drivers side works good but the rear window I rolled it down about 4 in. and it doesn't go back up. So that is my first problem at hand. The passenger side window works but I'm afrade to test the rear widow because I don't want it to get stuck like the other one is.

So, if you can help with that it would be great.

A little info about my car,
It's a 1994 xj6 with just under 140,000 miles. I paid $1,200 which seems like a good deal to me. It runs and drives very nice but it has some little problems (back door handels don't work from the outside, tail light is out and a few other things). This is my first car and hopefully I can fix a few things and drive it for a year or two.

Any help or advice would greatly appreciated.
And hopefully as I learn more about this car I can help others as it applies.
Thanks, Joe

Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First...congrats on your first car...and even more so that it's a Jag!!!

Second - window problems abound in Jags. Most often it's a switch...sometimes it's the motor. However, check to see if you can lift the window while you're pushing the switch. If it goes up (even just a wee bit), then you just need to dry out the window track (graphite is best but messy...talc will work, but not nearly as well).

Back door handles - you'll have to remove the inside door panels and see if the wire is broken or if it came loose from the door handle. Get yourself a repair manual of any kind to that you know what to look for, know to remove the door panels without destroying them, and know how to fix it.

Tail light - pretty self-explanatory (if it's just a bulb).

Little problems are always at hand. Welcome to the world of Jaguar ownership...lol. Enjoy your Kitty!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hello Joe, congrats on your first car "Excellent taste".

If in fact your rear doors are unlocked, "plunger up" there is a weakness in the handle to actuator rod, it is made out of some alloy and breaks where the actuator rod connects to the handle.

As above, you will need to remove the interior door panel to have a look see.

Screws, one behind the black plastic interior handle release. Remove and then pry out wood towards the front of the car. This will the reveal two or three screws on the top part of the door trim,remove and lift off trim. On front doors there is also a hidden screw under the rubber demist hose.

Prise out the red warning light cover to reveal a screw, remove.

Prise off the small cover in the center of the main handle (upwards) to reveal another screw, remove.

Now carefully prise off the pannel you will see an assortment of wires, you dont need to disconnect them at this point, but carefully place the pannel behind a front seat.

Remove plastic weather seal and you are there.

Total time for above about 5 mins.

You will see an assortment of rods, with a vertical rod going to the handle. Try pulling the handle and watching the rod at the same time.

If the rod is disconnected, then reconnect, if the handle is broken you will need to replace it.

Remove the lock rod from the handle, attached with a small clip. (front doors)

Remove the two small 8mm (IIRC) nuts from the handle retaining cradle inside the door, then carefully ease the handle away from the door.

You will see an electronic micro switch. Carefully remove the two small retaining screws to detach it from the handle. Be very careful with the thin wire you don't want to break it. (front doors)

Reassembly is the opposite of the above, it's a bit fiddly, but not complicated, just take your time.

When you have the handle working OK, give the latch mechanism a blast of WD40.

You can now move on to the windows. If you have power to them, then as MM says lubricate the runners, they may just be jammed from lack of use.

With a friend helping one of you opperate the switch and one of you with a hand on both sides of the window try to persuade it to move in the appropriate direction.

They only open 3/4 anyway.

Last edited by Translator; 12-07-2009 at 02:51 AM. Reason: forgot a bit
Old 12-06-2009, 01:51 PM

Thanks Guys,
Sounds like I'll have something to do tomorrow. The guy that I bought the car from gave me the haynes manual for my car so I've been lookin it over. Shouldn't be to hard from the looks of it. thanks, Joe

Old 12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Grats on first car! My first car was a jag too. Once you go jag you never go back. That haynes manual will be indespensable. I have mine and it is worth it's weight in gold. I can't give much help here as I own a 90 but if need be you can get new sets of door locks etc on ebay for pretty cheap. my door locks are shot, can only unlock the car from pass. side.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM

Well, Today I got my windows fixed. I can see what's wrong with my door handles and it doesn't look to hard to fix. I got a new tail light in.

Things are going good so far. But, today when I was in the trunk workin on the tail light I noticed something weird, when I open the drivers door the trunk opens just like if I had pushed the release button. I don't know if it always did this or if it's something new...

Any idea what going on here???

Is this just one of them things I'm just gonna have to live with or what???

Joe.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

You will of course tell us what you found with the handles, so that we will know for future reference;-))

Is the trunk latch sticking in the unlatched position, so that when you unlock the drivers door it not only unlocks the trunk but because it is unlatched it opens of its own accord. (just a thought).

Give the mechanism a good blast with the British car driver's aftershave (WD40)

lol

Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 PM

About the door handles,
There is (like you said) a metal rod that goes from the handle on the outside of the car to a small white plastic bracket that then connects to the mechanism that opens the door.

It's this plastic bracket that is my problem. It's broke and has all kinds of glue on it like someone has tried to fix it in the past. So, my plan is to have my dad make me some new brackets out of steel. My dad was a machinists for about 25 years and had a machine shop in the garage. He can build anything out of steel.

When he gets around to making them for me I'll take some pictures and show you guys.

Joe.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's very nice having a machinist dad I would like to see the pics too

Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds good Joe. Always nice to see a workshop fix rather than an Ebay solution.

Yes please pics pics pics.

Good on you.