XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

After Much time, it's finally alive!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default After Much time, it's finally alive!

Finally, after so long of running into brick walls, my car is finally running. I had the luck of getting the white smoke burning problem, one that I fought to get rid of. If anyone needs any tips on fixing theirs, feel free to ask

Old 11-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguarguy13
Finally, after so long of running into brick walls, my car is finally running. I had the luck of getting the white smoke burning problem, one that I fought to get rid of. If anyone needs any tips on fixing theirs, feel free to ask
jaguarguy13,

Please recount the symptoms, the steps you took to diagnose the problem, and what the final solution was. Other members will benefit from your experience in the future, perhaps when you're not available to answer their questions. One of the valuable aspects of the forum is the record of problems and solutions.

Thanks!

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (12-04-2015), MountainMan (12-08-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 AM

To whoever reads:

SYMPTOMS: An absurd amount of WHITE smoke coming out of the exhaust on a 1994 Jaguar XJ6 (Likely applies to similar models/years)

DIAGNOSIS: Somewhere, oil is getting burnt. Taking out the spark plugs and looking into the cylinder chamber confirmed that oil isn't getting into the cylinders, though some oil was on top of the spark plugs (poor seals on cam cover). Looking at the passenger side of the engine, there was a oil and "gunk" covering the side of the engine onto the tops of the exhaust manifolds.

CURE (and reasons why):

1.) Replaced all cam COVER gaskets don't forget the half moons in the back (gaskets were old and brittle, lack of sealing. Causing oil leaks into spark plug chambers and onto the exhaust.

2.) Replaced exhaust manifold gaskets (the leaking oil from the cam cover built up and put a lot of oil into the exhaust, when I took mine off there was a puddle of oil waiting to greet me. When you remove the manifolds try using a wire brush to clean out the ports as best as you can)

P.S. Don't be alarmed if you start your car up and it still smokes, give it a while and the smoke should dissipate. Oil likely got down further into the exhaust system.

TREATMENT (optional tune ups and fixes)

1.) Take apart the intake system, easier than it sounds (when I cleaned the pipes connected to the Mass Air Flow Sensor they were full of black "gunk" reducing air flow.

2.) Take off the fuel rail (some force may be necessary to pull the injectors out) and clean out the injectors with proper cleaner ("gunk" can build up here which isn't good)

3.) Replace the two EGR gaskets (bought both at O'Reilly for under 5$) because when I removed mine, they were cracked and nearly destroyed. (The gaskets are located on top of the right exhaust manifold, you'll see a little "thing" connected to a brass looking pipe.)

PREVENTION:

1.) A clean engine bay is a happy engine bay (clean excess "gunk" to help you fix anything that goes wrong in the future)

2.) Start your car up often. If you have leaky exhaust stem seals then oil can accumulate. Regular start ups will prevent you from getting too much smoke.

3.) Don't get frustrated and don't rush. Patience and a clear mind leads to fewer headaches in the long run

Hope this helps ,
-Eldin

P.S. Feel free to ask questions and I'll add them to my guide of sorts.

The following 2 users liked this post by jaguarguy13:
jerry_hoback (11-21-2015), Roob0481 (01-25-2016)
Old 12-02-2015, 02:34 PM

I took a while to respond, sorry I was busy with other things. I took apart the intake (again D:, but hey at least it's quick now haha) and there is oil smeared all around the bottom area of the engine. It's built up for quite some time, because it has a rubber-like response to me trying to clean it up. My car (1994 xj6) does have the U-shaped bypass pipe.

A few questions if you all don't mind. Do oil pan gaskets go bad on this car and how do you replace them? Also, where do you get the o rings and the gasket needed to replace the ones in the oil filter housing? Much like the rest of the gaskets I removed, the o rings hardened and are basically a piece of plastic trying to seal. Also how do you remove the oil dipstick? I have already drained the oil, and I can't really see a clear way to take it off.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguarguy13
A few questions if you all don't mind. Do oil pan gaskets go bad on this car and how do you replace them? Also, where do you get the o rings and the gasket needed to replace the ones in the oil filter housing? Much like the rest of the gaskets I removed, the o rings hardened and are basically a piece of plastic trying to seal. Also how do you remove the oil dipstick? I have already drained the oil, and I can't really see a clear way to take it off.

The O-rings for the oil cooler bypass "pipe" can probably be ordered from any of the forum sponsor parts dealers shown at the right on this page, or directly from a Jaguar dealer who sells online at discount prices, such as jaguarmerriamparts.com. Each of the two connector pipes requires 2 O-rings for a total of 4 O-rings required. Here's the diagram from jaguarclassicparts.com, where you can look up the part numbers. The O-rings are Part 7:

Oil Filter-4.0 Litre - Parts For XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757 - Canada/USA | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

To remove the oil dipstick tube, remove dipstick, then remove the single screw at the top on the bracket affixed to the intake manifold Part 14 in the diagram below). Then, carefully pull up on dipstick tube to pull it out of the rubber sleeve, Part 15, which hardens and leaks:

The oil pan gasket rarely leaks, for which we can be grateful since replacing it requires the removal of the front subframe/crossmember and supporting the engine from above. However, there are some common leak points on the left side of the engine including the dipstick sleeve. Here's a link to some photos of how I dealt with these leak points on our '93, which is very similar to your '94. See the photo captions for the part numbers for the O-rings and dipstick sleeve:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-02-2015 at 10:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (12-04-2015), MountainMan (12-08-2015), Roger95 (12-10-2015)