XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Broken door lock with child lock on

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken door lock with child lock on

Hi all,

New member, just joined. Level of mechanical knowledge - something slightly above techno-idiot (if i think logically which mightn't always apply to our beloved Jags). It's my first Jag. Had it 4 years and this is the first time something has gone wrong.

My standing problem - have been having problem with central locking - works sometimes, more often doesn't. Battery on key is flat and can't get replacement so I use one of two remote units. Have bought a new/second hand central locking unit that I might get around to trying soon.

But the immediate problem is it appears the outside lock on my left rear door has broken (outside door handle doesn't need any pressure to lift) AND the child proof lock is on. The child proof lock was difficult to engage when I activated it (before the lock apparently broke). Therefore I can't open the bloody thing at all.

Any thoughts on an easy way to at least open the door so I can take the child proof off. Then I'll go out and see if I can find some second hand locks.

Don't know that I'll be able to offer much in the way of technical knowledge in return but you will have my heartfelt thanks if I can get some ideas - even if those ideas don't solve my problem.

Cheers and thanks from Oz.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the same problem,what i did was to get to the child switch, was to remove the seat cushions and also had to take the door panels off then door opened (my handel was fine but the plastic parts were all broken thats why i took the door panel off.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lumppy47
I had the same problem,what i did was to get to the child switch, was to remove the seat cushions and also had to take the door panels off then door opened (my handel was fine but the plastic parts were all broken thats why i took the door panel off.
Easy when you know how. Trouble is getting the knowledge to make it easy. Thanks mate, I 'll give it a go on the weekend.

Cheers.