XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

"Bulb Failure" Message Yet Again -FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default "Bulb Failure" Message Yet Again -FIXED

I think I have read all the posts on the subject. All bulbs are good. What I do see is that when the right-turn signal is on, the flashing directional indicator on the dash flashes much faster than it does for left-turn.

The actual exterior turn lights are flashing at the normal rate however. Thus I suspect the "Bulb-Failure" has something to do with the right turn indicator. What could it be? I am feeling like an idiot here.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

You said all the bulbs are "good." But are they correct? Some aftermarket bulbs, although fit and work, can trigger a bulb out indicator. The on dash blinking quicker is because of an incorrect bulb or non working bulb. Or which could be chasing a gremlin is the wiring "thinking," there is a bulb not working or incorrect.

The following users liked this post:
88xj6 (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 AM

On your advice I checked bulbs and found the right front turn to be improper. Have ordered Jag replacement bulbs. It sure seems likely that is the problem!

Old 05-13-2012, 06:12 PM

Installed the made-in-France Jag bulbs and they made utterly no difference whatever. Still have a faster blinking indicator for right turn, although the exterior bulbs flash at the normal rate. Bulb Failure notification comes on immediately.

Now have observed that the speedo/tachometer/and mph/kph light bars do not illuminate. Cripes. Would dash lighting bulb out trigger the warning?

Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the BFM can be a PITA...i had the same problem (R) Turn signal same as you.. so what i did was switiched out the Left Module and put it on the right side..and the right side went to the left side...and yes there it was, erratic signal now on the left side so this told me that in fact the right Module was indeed bad...well did not want the expense on a replacement...well at least till i took it apart...figured if i brake the darn thing then i will just replace it.
Well i pryed the Module open....and i found a bad Solder Joint...so i had a friend who is good in the electronics field solder the joint for me...no problems BFM GONE !!!

Hope this may help you...now that you know all the contacts to the blubs are cleaned and lightly greased...(prevent future problems)....then i would examine the Module....Good Luck..

Has for the BFM flashing...Dash Lights???? i don't think so it is to my understanding the BFM is for any lights on the exterior of the car...Safety Reasons i figure..

Best to ya.....Cheers Don

Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM

I have tried a search on this subject but have not found the answer.

Is it possible to disable the Bulb Failure System ??? And if so how ???

It is a nice feature if it was not so sensitive.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Pilot

That system is tied into the car too much to try and disable. What I have done on some of my older cars was to open the bulb modules and resolder many of the joints. They all break eventually. I even had to do it to a third brake light relay module. The joints get too hot for the solder.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM

Update: I replaced instrument cluster bulbs, one was burnt out, and solved the dash lighting. The bulb failure modules do not monitor dash lights, so I still have the "bulb failure" alert, and the more rapid right turn indicator on the dash.

What is odd is that, after installing new instrument cluster bulbs, the interior right-turn arrow flashes about 5 times now at the normal rate before then resuming its very fast flashing. This is a change in behavior after doing nothing but replacing an instrument bulb.

I am suspicious as the posters above pointed out that I may have to now attack the bulb failure module itself.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

The other thing that came to mind was the 88-89 clusters themselves would break solders as well. A little late as you have the cluster back in. My apologies.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

It can be reversibly defeated, I used to do it quite a bit years ago. I'll have to find my notes on it though, they are probably stuffed in an old tool box. I'll just have to find them. It involved backing out some strategic wires a couple of places under the fascia.

Someone who likes a challenge can take out the bulb failure modules, take them apart and find and fix all the broken solder joints and they are usually good as new. It is a chore though.

Cheers,

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 AM

I finally dug up my notes for the Bulb Failure and cleaned them up a bit. This is a way to get rid of the Bulb Fail warning if repair or replacement of the modules is too much hassle. No one will be any the wiser.

Hope some find it useful!

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XJ40 Bulb Failure Disable R2.pdf (321.3 KB, 1048 views)

Last edited by xjrguy; 06-14-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Revised attached document
88xj6 (06-14-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default "Bulb Failure" Message Yet Again

Hello,

Not sure if the BFM issue has been resolved in this string, but thought I would throw in my experience. Both the BFM and Instrument cluster issues are easy fixes, even for a novice.

Take your time and maybe, if it's your first time, get the assistance of someone who has done some circuit board soldering, then you'll be flying.

Sounds like the BFM is the problem and it will be obvious to you which solder points need to be redone.

The intermittent flashing of the instrument cluster is bad solder points. Need to carefully examine every point, but you can start with the points that are directly connected to the pigtails that connect the cluster assembly to the vehicle. Bad solder will stand out to you once you open the unit.

Recently I have seen 3 or 4 of these instrument clusters on Ebay selling for as little as $40 USD. May be worth getting a guinea pig to test your skill. If they're gone keep looking. I have a repaired spare for the "what-if" scenario.

I would not bypass anything that assists in monitoring the functionality of the vehicle. You could regret it. This advice is from a guy who previously only changed oil on a vehicles before acquiring my Jag. I've had it for 12 years.

Hope this helps and best of luck. Appreciate everyone here at Jaguar Forums.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
I finally dug up my notes for the Bulb Failure and cleaned them up a bit. This is a way to get rid of the Bulb Fail warning if repair or replacement of the modules is too much hassle. No one will be any the wiser.

Cheers,
Thank you xjrguy!! That is suitable for framing in my shop, and will soon give it the test.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

my bulb fail light was always on for the last 2 years, and then one day it was gone...doesnt even come on when you first turn the key so presumably the bulb fail light failed

Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xjrguy

Cheers,
Thank-You xjrguy for the information you took the time time post for all of us here on this forum... My hat is off to you

Although my BFM is good (not flashing) at this time well you just never know.....

Cheers Don

xjrguy (06-15-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I didn't have any suggestions, until now.

My XJ40 had the same issue..."bulb out" illuminated with rapid flashing on one turn signal, but normal rate on the exterior. There are 2 bulbs within each taillight housing that flash with the turn signal activated. My left taillight had only one of the bulbs working, while the right side both worked. Thus, the (accurate) bulb out warning.

Hope yours is just as simple.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Default xjrguy Is a Genius!

Well xjrguy I finally got around to following your instructions for disabling the "bulb failure" warning on my 1988 xj40. After I got an English Translation book and discovered that "KS" meant a pink wire with gray (in British it is Slate) stripe, KR=pink with red stripe, and KG=pink with green stripe, I just snipped the little mothers.

After three maddening years of "Bulb Failure" blinking on the dash, the warning is gone!!! The rapid interior right turn indicator has reverted to normal speed. The sun is shining and the catfish are a-jumping!

Thank you so much for posting this fix, you have done Jaguar-Kind an enormous service.

You are, xjrguy, a genius, though I suspect by now you hear that everyday.

Gratefully Yours,
88xj6

The following 2 users liked this post by 88xj6:
Cadillac (06-15-2012), xjrguy (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 88xj6
Well xjrguy I finally got around to following your instructions for disabling the "bulb failure" warning on my 1988 xj40. After I got an English Translation book and discovered that "KS" meant a pink wire with gray (in British it is Slate) stripe, KR=pink with red stripe, and KG=pink with green stripe, I just snipped the little mothers.

After three maddening years of "Bulb Failure" blinking on the dash, the warning is gone!!! The rapid interior right turn indicator has reverted to normal speed. The sun is shining and the catfish are a-jumping!

Thank you so much for posting this fix, you have done Jaguar-Kind an enormous service.

You are, xjrguy, a genius, though I suspect by now you hear that everyday.

Gratefully Yours,
88xj6
Heh, Heh............. No applause, just throw money!

Well you're welcome, my friend. Those notes made me a lot of friends way back when, too. I have to chuckle thinking about it, there are times when I'd done that for people and you'd thought they won the lottery by the way they acted. Such a simple thing, yet when the warnings are finally gone people get beside themselves.

Thanks for pointing out the glaring omission regarding the wire colors. That stuff is old hat to me, so I forget that not everyone is up on the English-speak. I have revised the document accordingly.

Enjoy your not-so-flashy instruments!

Cheers,

Old 06-22-2018, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway you could post a play by play?

having this same problem and it’s driving me nuts. I also have a 88 XJ6 same problems. Any advice would be great!

thanks!

Old 06-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 12,736 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Ordinaryboy1986
Anyway you could post a play by play?
having this same problem and it’s driving me nuts. I also have a 88 XJ6 same problems. Any advice would be great!
Hi Ordinaryboy1986,

This thread has had no activity since 2012, so xjrguy may not notice your question, but if you'll check out the pdf file he linked to in Post #11, I think you'll have all the information you need. But before you cut any wires, be sure to check all your exterior bulbs, including the sidemarker lamps, fog lamps, brake lamps and license plate lamps. It's easy to miss one of those when they're out.

Also, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Quick Reply: "Bulb Failure" Message Yet Again -FIXED