XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

A/c issue- blowers working but not inside!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:43 AM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A/c issue- blowers working but not inside!

Need a little A?C education here my loves.
I recently had the AC system regassed and we've been enjoying cool air so far- though the air from the dash was never that strong- Now we've lost it entirely>

first I was only getting hot air this evening for a moment- which was not right. Nothing had touched the temp adjustment switches so obviously it was engine air-
Both blowers work, and make a decent amount of sound- just no air coming in.
Flap has been forever wedged open with a bit of sponge, so the flow isn;t restricted by that.

Got the hot air to stop, but noticed the only things getting cold air were: my feet, the back passengers (from the center console vent) and the windscreen.. both inside AND outside.

switching from demist to low set off the whole system on a click on - off-on episode which makes me think some switch somewhere has been screwed- hoping it's not one of those 'take the whole dash off' jobs though.

The issue has only arisen this evening since using the demist setting on the foggy windscreen. after switching back off, i noticed the hot air coming through- then when turning on the fan, no air being blown in through the vents in the dash, just a gentle trickle of hot air- while the windscreen, my feet, and back passengers were all getting icy cold strong air.

We live in tropical QLD and the days are already 'spring' at 27 celcius and 60-69% humidity- so I need your help !

Old 10-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

Hi Beck,
One of the Multitude problems that the Moneyfunnel has had was that one of the flaps which was supposed to be mounted at the defrost vents had broken loose and fallen into the heater valve box, jamming the doors (or vanes) so that I only got air flow to the rear seat. It was a fairly deep project to fix but I have normal operation now. I was able to look into the center vents with a flashlight and could see "an object" at a jaunty angle where I was fairly sure no Angle should be present. That was my indication of my problem. Have a peek and see whats back there. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:43 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi Beck,

Like Jerry I think you may have a problem with your blend flaps, which are actually sections of cylinders that rotate to direct the air through different pathways according to the settings on the control panel. Your problem could be something jamming

For more than you ever wanted to know about the blend flaps, see the photo albums at the links below. I think the large images are still unavailable, but maybe the thumbnails and descriptions will give you some ideas as to the source of your malfunction.

Blend Flap Check & Adjustment Part 1 of 5
Blend Flap Check & Adjustment Part 2 of 5
Blend Flap Check & Adjustment Part 3 of 5
Blend Flap Check & Adjustment Part 4 of 5
Blend Flap Check & Adjustment Part 5 of 5

Another possibility is that the rear molding seam of your dash has opened up, allowing most of the blower pressure to dissipate out the wrong side of your dash. I think there are some threads on this topic in the forum.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 10-04-2017 at 11:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (10-10-2017)