XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Central locking problem on passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Central locking problem on passenger door

All,

I have some problem with one of my rear passenger door lock on my 1990 Daimler 4.0l. The central locking does not always unlock this door. The chromed locking button does seem to go up slightly when I unlock the doors but goes back down again.
This would probably suggest that the central lock unit in the door is still working but some sort of mechanical interference prevents the door to unlock.
The problem seems to manifest itself when the external temperature is low, whilst it was working consistently well during the last summer. I have already tried to lubricate the mechanism, without any noticeable difference.
Has anybody experience such problem with their XJ40?

Cheers,

Nick.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: Central locking problem on passenger door

Hi Nick,

It's pretty common, and your observation about the actuator trying to move the lock button is right on target. It still works, just not quite well enough to overcome the resistance of the lock plate.

U.S. cars have "childproof locks" on the rear doors, and a slide lever on the end of the door above the lock plate. You can use a spray lubricant with a "straw" on the nozzle to soak the lockplate though this slot. Squirt some more up past the latch hook, work the lock pin manually a few times, and see what you've got. Sometimes the only resolution is to remove the door trim panel and thoroughly lubricate the lockplate, but that will fix it.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks for your very prompt reply JagtechOhio

My car is also fitted with child lock. I already sprayed the latch and the internal components with WD40 but I must admit that I may have overlooked the child lock mechanism. I will try that. Perhaps silicon spray would be more suitable for this application?
When manually working the locking button, I can somewhat feel some resistance when pushing and pulling the pin. But I assumed that was normal as similar resistance can be felt when working the lock pin on the other rear passenger door.

Nick.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Nick,

Sure you will feel resistance, but a little too much is a little too much. I use WD 40, or a spray luricant with Teflon additive, as I don't think silicone "stays put" on the mechanism for a long time. It's just about getting it wet in the right places for it to respond properly. Reminds me of a girl I knew once.....

Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 AM

Hi Jagteh,
Finally got around to sort the rear passenger door lock and you were right about the child lock mechanism.
At first I could not move the child lock switch, so I proceeded with spraying WD40 on it like there was no tomorrow. I was eventually able to move the switch to the "locked" position and spray more WD40, and so until I got a smooth operation of the child lock switch. Shut the door, and try the central locking a few times and, surprise surprise, the door now unlock with the other 3!
Many thanks for your tip Jagtech.
I now have to focus on a bigger job as described in my latest thread.

Nick.

PS: do you still have the contact details of that girl?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2002 X-Type passenger front and passenger rear door locks will not lock or unlock using the FOB. What might be my problem? I can lock them from teh interior, separately, however, they will not lock using the FOB. Comments please

Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 PM

thats funny I have the same problem on the same door. Im going to try this technique and hopefully it works....

Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

and this is usually the case with locks like JTO stated. However, the solnoids do get weak from trying to overcome "dryness" and with age so if youve done all the aformentioned youll need a latch/motor assembly if it still fails to works properly. If you follow Andy's great advise(for which you should tip like the "there are 10 Jaguar mechanics online right now" ads.) Then everyone would be wise to go out and do all there doors and latches....Reminds me I need to do the wifes....Doors, guys..Doors

Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM

From a newbie. Thanks very much to you Jag techs for your generous help!!! It´s great to see that the door locks were fixed because of your advice.