XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

clunk-clunk ...solved?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Smile clunk-clunk ...solved?

Hi Guys -
I've been chasing a most annoying rough-road "clunk" on my rig for what seems like forever, was still "there" after re and re-ing the rear suspension, hardening up the seat fasteners and just about everything else I could think of - anyway, this morning I noticed my passenger side tailpipe wasn't sitting "centered" in the rear body cutout ...

I pushed on it with my foot and it moved pretty easily back into position so I figured something wasn't right

Looking up at the mount and wiggling the tailpipe I found the muffler mounting rod was flopping around in what should be a rubber bushing - on a quick look it seems either the muffler has been pushed forward at one time and the rod has slipped out of the rubber mount - or more likely the rubber has gone bye-bye..

It's definitely metal-on-metal so time for a new mount. I just ordered two new aftermarket ones from Rock Auto (no affil) for the princely sum of $7 each.

Doesn't look like there's much room to work from the underside/tailpipe area but I think the mounts are bolted to the body from under the carpet in the trunk, is that right?

Any installation tips guys?

cheers

Larry

The following users liked this post:
93SB (11-14-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi Larry,

I can't help you with how the exhaust mounts are secured, but I'm really happy to hear that you've finally tracked down the knocking sound!

Cheers,

Don

Old 11-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Larry,

I can't help you with how the exhaust mounts are secured, but I'm really happy to hear that you've finally tracked down the knocking sound!

Cheers,

Don
Thanks Don, hope I ain't countin' chickens etc ...

Larry

Old 02-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Update

Finally got around to fitting the new tailpipe brackets today, indeed one of the rear mufflers had dislodged from the mount and was sitting on the metal bracket.
Must have happened when I backed into something and pushed the exhaust forward - when it returned to position it came back and the mounting rod must have missed the rubber "hole"

Anyway, when we got them off and took a look at the old (I presume original) mounts, the rubber was really soft and could be moved around by hand - comparing the new mount, there was no way to flex the rubber, really stiff.

Bit of a 2-man job though, not difficult or time consuming but hard to locate and start the nuts in the trunk while manhandling the bracket under the car - with a buddy in the trunk with nuts and bolt at the ready, pretty simple job.

So one more old bit replaced with nice shiny parts.

2 nylock nuts and a bolt used to mount the rear muffler bracket. Accessible in the trunk under the carpet

old deformed and new brackets

another view

Cheers

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-03-2015)