XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Converting from quad headlamp to dual element single.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Converting from quad headlamp to dual element single.

Hello everyone, since I have all the gremlins sorted out on my Vanden Plas, I get to begin the real fun, making her mine, by way of Jaguar parts of course. I know people have done the swap from the single housing to quad headlamps, I'd like to go the other way though and go from quads to the 93 up single with dual bulbs, what is involved in this swap on my 1988? As i promised in a previous thread ive included a picture of my car, Victoria.
Thanks for your time, Evan

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-29-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 12:05 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi Evan,

I did the singles-to-quad conversion on our '93, and I had to change the bulb connectors but was able to retain the existing Bulb Failure Modules (BFMs). The rectangular lamps should bolt to the same mounting points as the metal framework that holds your two lamps per side and the body-color trim surround. I can't remember what bulbs the rectangular lamps used, but off the top of my head I think they were the 9000 series that are very common on Fords and other U.S. cars. You should be able to buy electrical connectors at any auto parts store that will have pigtail leads you can splice into the existing wiring harness.

The headlamp units are usually available on eBay, and you should be able to sell your old quad-lamp parts on eBay to recover part of your cost.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (01-12-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

If you go shopping on eBay, be aware that the early VIN North American square headlight XJ40's used a single reflector/bulb and are like the european "fishtank" models - they're also not as wide a the dual reflector type.

The low beams on these dual reflector type are standard 9006 bulbs, sorry can't remember the hi-beam #'s

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
93SB (01-12-2017), Don B (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 07:09 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Morning,

First, be aware that they used different square lamps in '88 than for the rest of the 40's. The early type were smaller, and not a perfect rectangle, and require their headlight doors and I think mating grill surround to work. You will have an easier time locating the later type.

Secondly, the biggest issue changing these is removing either type. The bulbs mount to a plastic frame which has steel studs molded into it, to which nuts hold the frame to the car. These rust, and typically, when you turn the nut, the stud rips out of the weak plastic, resulting in a spinning stud that will not release. With lots of prior soaking you may get away with this. You can't use heat as they melt out.

What I've done is try them first. If no luck, or you have a spinning stud, then heat the studs while levering the frame out the front. The studs will melt out of the frame, and the light unit will come out leaving the studs behind. Now you can grip the stud, and remove the nut.Now glue the stud back in its position in the frame for reassembly.

I have some of the square lamps if you can't find any close to you.

Don't forget the little rain shields that fit over the lamps, on the top rad support.

I like the square lamps on the 40;s.

Good luck

Rob

The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Laughton:
93SB (01-12-2017), Don B (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

So if I am to understand correctly, the later, "full size" for the sake of conversation housings will fit with my factory grill and all I have to do is convert the headlight assemblies themselves? Along with some minor surgery to the wiring to accept the new bulbs of course. And Robert, I will send you a message regarding the lights, the only ones I'm finding locally are very worn with the chrome flaking out in the reflector.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much do you want for the quads? I'm looking to convert the other way, lol!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by 40oztofreedom
How much do you want for the quads? I'm looking to convert the other way, lol!
Hi 40oztofreedom,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 01-14-2017, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

I prefer the fish tanks. Theyre original to the cat, the old skool quads are cool too but I think XJ40s r starting to become collectors cars. I just a got a 94 and was for once getting respect from vintage owners

Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech
I prefer the fish tanks. Theyre original to the cat, the old skool quads are cool too but I think XJ40s r starting to become collectors cars. I just a got a 94 and was for once getting respect from vintage owners
True that dude!