XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Driver Seat belt latch comes undone

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Driver Seat belt latch comes undone

On a 93 XJ6, the driver seat belt latch will not stay engaged. It comes undone and is difficult to reengage. It looks like I need a replacement one. I have been looking for one on ebay for months with no luck. Where is a good place to get a replacement one?

Also, how do you remove it? I tried an allen wrench but the angle is difficult and it feels like it will strip. What is the proper terminology for that kind of bolt? Does the whole seat need to be removed?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by supra-raleigh
On a 93 XJ6, the driver seat belt latch will not stay engaged. It comes undone and is difficult to reengage. It looks like I need a replacement one. I have been looking for one on ebay for months with no luck. Where is a good place to get a replacement one?

Also, how do you remove it? I tried an allen wrench but the angle is difficult and it feels like it will strip. What is the proper terminology for that kind of bolt? Does the whole seat need to be removed?
One tip for finding parts like this is to find an eBay seller who has any kind of part for a '93 or '94 XJ40 and use the "Ask the seller a question" function to ask if they may have the seatbelt buckle you need. If you can't find one in the right color, I believe you can swap the plastic cover from yours over to the new one.

One other possibility is that something has fallen into the buckle and is preventing it from latching. It would be worth removing the plastic cover to check.

It would definitely be easier to disconnect the buckle mounting strap from the transmission tunnel with the seat removed. I think there are only 4 or 6 screws that secure the seat rails to the floor pan.

I think the screws have Torx heads - recesses with six "star" points. You can buy a set of Torx bits at most local auto parts stores for around $20.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
supra-raleigh (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Details on torx bolt size and disassembly of seat belt anchor in this thread, page 2

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-162999/page2/

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
Don B (08-04-2017), supra-raleigh (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Don, you mentioned to remove the plastic cover to see if something fell in and is binding. How do you get the plastic cover off? Edit: After reading Lawrence's post, I see how to remove the plastic shroud on the seat belt latch. Thanks

Last edited by supra-raleigh; 08-04-2017 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Answer was in previous post