XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Drivers door lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Drivers door lock

When I bought my 90 sovereign the ignition was hanging all over the place, and could only start using this after market key. I said no problem, I'll take the ignition out of the VDP and replace it. Knowing in order to unlock and lock the doors with the key I would have to change the drivers door handle as well. It was drivers door work today. First I replaced a broken hinge. The spring was gone and the door wouldn't stay open. I took the door off to do so. I also replaced the master window switch while I was there, then on to the handle. I can now unlock and lock the door with my key. But what I can't do is press the lock down and have all the doors lock. Nor can I unlock the car with the key and have them all unlock. Am I missing something here? The wires coming off the other handle plugged right in. Any help would be appreciated as always fellas.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced the drivers door handle yesterday on my 91 Sovereign and your problem could be associated with that little micro switch that is attached to the back of the door handle (with 2 small screws) with the 2 (red black) wires coming off it.

This switch when you unlock the drivers door is engaged by the nylon lever (that turns as you unlock the door with the key) that is attached to the end of the key lock cylinder. So look at these components.

Make sure when you turn the key to unlock that door that you see the nylon lever cam press the tiny steel roller lever on the switch (which completes the circuit of the switch) which opens all the other doors. When the switch is activated you can hear an audible "click" from the switch.

You can test the switch for correct operation as well with an VOM. The switch is normally OPEN and when engaged it is closed)

If all of this is working and your locks don't unlock then it may be somewhere else. Can you lock all the doors from the lock switch on the console? If this does not work then your problem lies elsewhere - could be the locking module under the glove box. Check all fuses first. Did the electric locks work before you changed the handle?

If they did - I suspect the door handle switch - handle mechanism for the switch.

Do your electric locks work when you pull up or push down either of the front doors lock levers?

Go to the front passenger door and pull up or push down the door lock lever and listen carefully at the bottom of glovebox to hear a faint relay click sound - If you hear that then your lock system is signaling the module - which is GOOD. These cars need to have the locks synchronized.....sometimes they stop working - until you "sync" them.

You sync them by simply putting all the 4 door lock levers in the down position and close all the doors. Then unlock the front door and they should begin to work again. I had to do this yesterday after changing the door handle switch. This could be your issue and its an easy fix.
Good Luck!

Last edited by babbah; 03-05-2011 at 10:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by babbah:
Mountain Pilot (05-07-2012), mrtalkradio (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I will do what you have suggested. If the "sync" doesn't work then its that micro switch, in which I thought was working. At least it is making contact.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM

BINGO! That did the trick. Thank you!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mrtalkradio
BINGO! That did the trick. Thank you!
I'm glad it's working!!

This seems to be a very common problem - I have all the Jag Shop Manuals manuals for this car and no where is this little trick documented!

Enjoy!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
I'm glad it's working!!

This seems to be a very common problem - I have all the Jag Shop Manuals manuals for this car and no where is this little trick documented!

Enjoy!
That's an excellent tip, that I for one, didn't know. Thanks a lot......Roger.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by roger ele969c
That's an excellent tip, that I for one, didn't know. Thanks a lot......Roger.
When I first got the car this happened a few times - All the locks stopped working - I took it to the dealer twice and it was "fixed" - They NEVER told me about this SYNC thing!!!

I found out about it from a independent repair shop!! Go figure!