XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Fuel Cat- Legit or No?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fuel Cat- Legit or No?

I see this in-line device posted on Ebay and various other adverts called, the "Fuel Cat". Supposedly improves MPG, More Power, Better Emissions, stops stale fuel etc, when joined into the XJ-40 Fuel Rail..... Any thoughts, experience with this device?

Jag Bro 91' Sovereign

Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 12,738 Likes on 6,380 Posts

I remember this being mentioned on the Jag-Lovers forum many years ago. The Fuel Cat website sure makes it seem like magic:

What is Fuel Cat? - Fuel Cat - Improving fuel efficiency

I don't see any mention of a patent.... Which makes me wonder, if this technology is so effective, why aren't all of the automakers including "fuel catalyst" units in their new vehicles? Or perhaps more logically, why haven't CARB and the EPA insisted on it?

Hope to hear from someone who has tried one!

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

At the bottom of this post is a link to an article by a man who seems rather educated on the fuel systems of Internal Combustion Engines. He decries Fuel Cat as a scam for technical reasons in contrast to their claims. He could be just a hater, but at this point I will stay clear of this thing until I hear from someone 1st hand who's used one on any car especially an XJ40. WARNING: This guys vernacular is quite crude and "out there".

Also the Office of Fair Trade (In the UK I suppose?), issued basically a type of Cease and Desist Order to the manufacturers of Fuel Cat many years ago in this link.... so yea. 2000

Fuel Cat and Techstore.co.uk - Scam Warning

So.. Never Mind

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

There were similar devices sold on this side of the pond years ago, each of which promised miracles but delivered none.

Sounds like this company spends more time and money trying to evade the office of fair trade than they do in proving that their product works- which of course cannot be done as this would defying several laws of physics and would involve alchemy.

The OEMs each spend millions of dollars each year trying to squeeze more efficiency out of their products. 1/10th of a MPG gain is considered a major victory. If this bolt on device can provide 2-5 mpg as some 'happy customers' claim, why do the OEMs not use the technology as well?

Don B (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I read both the "pro" and the "anti" articles.

One of the maker's claims was that the device promoted more "complete" burning and increased the octane rating - enabling the engine to use a lower octane rating fuel.

Ordinarily, increasing the octane rating REDUCES fuel volatility, so I'm not sure how a device purported to increase fuel volatility could accomplish that, but there again, it is a "miracle" device .....

Larry

Don B (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence

Ordinarily, increasing the octane rating REDUCES fuel volatility,
Not quite. It reduces a fuel's propensity to detonate but without reducing the energy content. Low octane and high octane fuels have the same energy content, all other things being equal.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Groundhog Day . . . April 1st again, and again, and again!

How can any device in a fuel rail or pressure line, do magic? I used to draw comfort that such "Hollywood" scams were banned in Australia, but I notice the re-emergence even here, of "Hiclone" - a similar anti-Physics, anti-commonsense device, previously banned in several States, now being "nudge-nudge, wink, wink" promoted once again.

Just my 2 cents,

Ken