XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

... on Fuel Injector testing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Lightbulb ... on Fuel Injector testing

If your Cat misses or cranks but NO STARTs you might find something useful here for you.

I am assuming the reader has eliminated the likelihood that the problem is ignition spark related.

TEST #1: Check for fuel injector (f.i.) "clicking".
tools required:

an arm's length of rubber hose (garden or fuel variety, used preferably)
procedure:

Get a helper and have them turn the ignition key and crank the engine.

In either case, whether your engine starts but misses or engine cranks but does not start, the procedure is the same.

Hold one end of your rubber hose to your ear and with the other hand, move the other end of the hose to each f.i., listening for an audible click.

A f.i. that fails to "click" here is either
  1. faulty or
  2. there is an electrical wiring or signaling problem. Another test is required.

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Lightbulb a Bosch-Lucas NOID tester

Perform the following test if you fail to hear a f.i. "click" using the previous hose test.

TEST #2: Check for fuel injector (f.i.) "signal".
tools required:

a Bosch-Lucas NOID tester

e.g. 7188 bosch pfi noid test light
procedure:

Simply disconnect the harness connector of the suspected troublesome f.i. and insert the NOID tester. Get a helper and have them turn the ignition key and crank the engine. Watch for the tester to blink.

1. If it does not blink

Name:  space.gif
Views: 993
Size:  77 Bytesa. and your engine runs but misses, there is something wrong with the harness. Turn off the engine and check for continuity from the connector back to the ECU.

Name:  space.gif
Views: 993
Size:  77 Bytesb. and your engine does not run, test the other f.i.'s with the NOID tester to ensure at least a signal is coming from the ECU.
  • If you get a signal on the other lines, inspect the troublesome harness for continuity from the connector all the way back to the ECU.
  • If you do NOT get a signal on the other lines and if the wiring is OK, suspect the crankshaft sensor (c.s.) first. A faulty c.s. will cause a NO SPARK condition at the plugs, too.
2. If the NOID tester does blink, it may be that the driver circuit from the ECU is weak. This is unlikely. What is more likely is this f.i. is faulty due to fact that it has now failed two tests.

further tests to come...

Attached Images  

Last edited by Trick Freestones; 05-17-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Lightbulb Check for fuel injector resistance

Consult your Haynes manual, and follow the test found in Chapter 4 Section 12 Part 9 to measure the resistance of the troublesome injector or injectors.

TEST #3: Check for fuel injector (f.i.) resistance.
tools required:

multimeter (using it as an ohm meter)
procedure:

"With the engine OFF and the fuel injector electrical connectors disconnected, measure the resistance of each injector. Each injector should measure about 2.0 to 3.0 ohms. If not, the injector is probably faulty. - Haynes, 4-12.

more to come ...

The following 2 users liked this post by Trick Freestones:
JimC64 (05-19-2011), plums (05-19-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Lightbulb testing for a weak ECU to f.i. driver circuit

Well, you've made the previous tests and still no joy.
  1. The f.i. doesn't "click" when you "listen" to it with a hose.
  2. The NOID tester flickers.
  3. The fuel injector (f.i.) resistance is within spec.
Could it be something else besides a faulty f.i. ? The answer is yes and thus, the reason for the next test.

TEST #3: Indirect testing for a weak ECU to f.i. driver circuit
tools required:
  1. two lengths of insulated auto electrical wire with small insulated alligator clips attached to each end. The alligator clips must be able to be attached to the fuel injector without grounding or shorting out against each other. It would be wise to use black and red insulation.
  2. two spare battery terminals.
  3. 12 V auto battery
  4. optional 12 Ω (ohm), 1 watt or greater resistor. This may be found at an audio house or maybe even Radio Shack. Madisound Speaker Components, Inc. sells them $0.65 each for 1+ but you still have to pay S&H.
e.g.

procedure:

Connect the spare battery terminals to the battery you are going to use. Connect one end of each of the wire leads you made to the terminals. Try not to touch the free ends together or you will short the battery.

You need to pay attention to polarity here. For the 1988 XJ40, the WN colored wire to the f.i. connector is +tive and the KB one is -tive.

See my thread, Jaɡ‧u‧ər Electrical Wiring Color Codes, for Jaguar color conventions.

Remove the faulty f.i. (or f.i.'s) and momentarily energize it by touching its electrical terminals with battery voltage. If you're going to energize it for longer than a moment, then I strongly suggest adding the optional 12 Ω (ohm), 1 watt resistor into one of the wire leads you made up.

conclusions:

If the f.i. now "clicks" then the ECU is not sending enough juice to the f.i. Check the ECU grounds and the wiring again between the ECU and the f.i. connectors. If everything "checks", you may (and I write may) have a bad ECU, but probably not.

If the f.i. still does not "click", then the f.i. may be stuck and is in need of cleaning

.... more to come.

Attached Thumbnails ... on Fuel Injector testing-25r12.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello This is Richard
Ok so I have done alll that and to no avail. I have no +itive to the (f.i.) nor do I have a -ative pulse to the (f.i.) I have no book and do not know what is uphill frome there to check out next. 1990 4.0

Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 AM

Richard,

I've made an entry on your thread, 1990 4.0 no injector power and no pulse,

See (or read) you there.