XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Have All Quad Headlights On?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have All Quad Headlights On?

Is it possible? I have an 89 VNP with quad headlights, and love the way the four lights look on at night, but that is only possible when I switch to high beams. Is there a tweak I can do to achieve this but not blind oncoming drivers?

A very rough idea that came to mind was to split the low beam cable to both headlights. That is, the cable that connects to the low beam, splitting it so it also extends and connects to the high beam, resulting in the high beam cable not being used. Normally, when the high beam is selected, the high beam goes on and the low beam gets a bit brighter. My stupid thinking is if I split that low beam cable to both headlights, I can still switch to high beam since that cable normally gets brighter when it's selected. But not sure how the laws of electricity work. If I split, and lets say the normal watts for the low beam is 50w, will both headlights receive same wattage so putting out same brightness? Or does it distribute between the two, making each one less that 50w, let's say 25w each. If so, then it that might be enough to not blind drivers. I hope this made some sense.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Have All Quad Headlights On?

First, I would check to see if its legal in the state your in. Most states its illegal to have all four on, in dim. Second, contact Alex Cannara on the Jag-lovers.org site, XJ-6 forum. He did just such a thing to his Series 3 XJ-6. All four stayed on in low and high. Looked pretty good. He has photos in the photo album, as well as diagrams of the setup.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 AM

I'll check on the legality of that in my state, California. I have seen the new V8 Mustangs with their four headlights on, unless they payed good money for a waiver of some sort. Thanks for the site, I'll be sure to look it up.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Yeah, those V8s are exactly the ones I'm talking about. I've been asking around, and found very little on actual black-and-white California laws as to the legality of this modification. To my understanding it's not legal, those ponies can pull it off cause their two inner lights aren't headlights, they're fog lights. My car had foglights but took them out, and replaced the bottom bumper with one that doesn't have the insert for them. I thought it took away from the Jag look. So maybe, cops will see them as foglights if I get lucky. Besides, I don't see it likely being pulled over for this. What do they know about the specifications of my car, since I took my fogs out, for all they know my two inner lights are fog lights. I'll take the risk, definately worth it. Fix-it tickets aren't bad.

Keith, I finally found the diagram you spoke of. I will study and see what I can work out.

Something somewhat irrelevant I want to mention; I've always looked for the headlight assemblies cause mine are crap. Currently have cracked trim, broken aftermarket lights that blow out every month, ripped seals, unalighnable,I can go on. The whole assembly never goes for less than 150.00 dollarsEACH, and USED. That's a lot for lights. Anywho found BOTH assemblies NEW for 330.00. I'm mighty proud of my find. So much, thoughts of selling them back for a much higher price has crossed my mind.

One more thing. I've mentioned this on another post. What is it with the multiple apotrophies? Is it just me seeing them?